The Uniden SDS100 is a handheld scanner manufactured by Uniden America released in Q2 of 2018 with an introductory MSRP of $699
It is the first scanner to incorporate I/Q technology and SDR (Software Defined Radio) in a handheld scanner. This provides superior performance scanning LSM (Linear Simulcast Modulation) systems. It uses the Uniden HomePatrol database and Uniden Sentinel Software for ease of programming. Its front panel interface and menus are functionally identical to the BCD436HP. Its most important new features include water resistance and customizable color LCD.
Programming and Interface
Most menus and buttons are identical to the BCD436HP.
- ZIP Services Mode: Enter your ZIP code, service type, and range. The scanner will aggregate a list of nearby radio channels to listen to.
- GPS Mode: Purchase the additional GPS module and cable to have the scanner automatically update its location to pull in nearby radio channels without having to enter a ZIP code
- Manual Entry: Create Favorite lists by manually entering the channel/system information, or import it from the RR DB preloaded on the SD Card (Complete Front Keypad Programming ability)
- Sentinel: Use a PC with Uniden Sentinel Software to update scanner firmware, update RR Database, and create your own Favorite Lists, Systems, Sites, Channels, TalkGroups and RadioIDs in addition to control scanner settings and customize the LCD Screen.
- Discovery Mode - helps you find new channels on trunked systems and frequency ranges.
- Analysis Mode - includes Trunked System Analysis of Signal, Quality and Activity, and EDACS/LTR LCN Finder.
- Instant Replay - Plays back up to 240 seconds of the most recent unsquelched transmissions without the added quite time between those transmissions..
- Recording of Audio - Captures & Stores individual transmissions until squelch closes for later playback with time stamping and some metadata via Scanner or PC.
- 8GB microSD card holds the entire US and Canada database of radio systems, plus leaves room for hundreds of hours of audio recording.
- TrunkTracker X -- Supported System Types and Voices below
- Multi-Site Trunking - Lets you program the scanner to share a Trunked System's TGIDs across multiple Sites without having to duplicate TGIDs.
- P25 One-Frequency Trunking - The scanner can follow individual talk groups on P25 single-frequency systems that use both NAC and TGID’s for squelch control and user identification.
- Individual Site P25 decode Threshold, Settings: Auto, Manual, Default
- Quick key (QK) capable
- Startup Configuration
- Audible Independent Alert Tone Volume – lets you set the volume level of the following tones: Key Beep, Emergency Alerts, Channel Alerts, Tone-Out hits, and Close Call Alert.
- Encryption Muting - APCO P25 PI encrypted voice is muted automatically.
- Number Tagging - Number tags allow you to quickly navigate to a specific Favorites List, System, and/or Channel.
- Easy Scan Control using the System, Department and Channel SOFTKEY Hold buttons.
- Easy navigation to Favorite List, 1st on Menu w visual On/Off for FQK listing
- Easy navigation to System List 1st on Menu w visual On/Off for SQK listing.
- Custom Search - lets you program up to 10 search ranges.
- 3 Quick-Access Search Keys
- Search with Scan for Custom Searches.
- Quick Search - Allows you to start searching at the displayed frequency, or enter a frequency and start searching.
- Channel delay adjustable to increments of 0-2,5,10,30,
- Negative Channel delay or dropout (forced resume) adjustable to -2, -5, -10 seconds.
- 64 character text tagging for each system, site, department, channel, talkgroup, search range, Tone-Out, and SAME group.
- Date/Time indication on display with time stamping for recordings.
- Keypad Lock prevents anything being changed but Volume and ON\OFF - lets you hand the scanner to a novice user.
- AVOID via Front Keypad or Menu
- Temporary Avoid lets you quickly silence unwanted Systems, Departments, Channels, or search frequencies while allowing you to restore Avoids by cycling power.
- Permanent Avoid lets you lockout anything unwanted by a quick double press
- Ability to Clear All Avoids quickly and easily in a few MENU presses
- Conventional Channel Priority with Priority Do-Not-Disturb, w some trunk system and priority
- Adjustable Priority check interval and quantity.
- Uniden Close Call, with Close Call Do Not Disturb, Close Call Priority (or Primary), and Close Call Temporary Store.
- NOAA Weather Alert with SAME
- Weather Priority.
- Receive Signal Strength Indicator displayed.
- Fire Tone Out alert with two-tone paging with up to 32 tone slots.
- Also see the Fire Tone Out article.
- Fire Tone Out Search - built-in frequency counter displays the received tones.
- Channel Volume Offset individually per channel.
- Broadcast signal ignore while searching (TV and radio station frequencies, pagers, etc) with 10 custom bands.
- Repeater Reverse
- Intermediate Frequency Exchange - changes the IF used for a selected frequency to help avoid image and other mixer-product interference on a frequency.
- Backlight-on-Squelch option allows the backlight to remain on during an entire transmission.
- Adjustable Band defaults Modulation and Steps
- 240x320 pixel, plastic, color LCD screen (147 user-selectable colors for text and background)
- Weatherproof Backlit Display and Keypad.
- Water resistant up to IPX4 (JIS4)
- Select/Volume/Squelch multi-control top rotary encoder knob.
- Side-actuated Function and Menu controls.
- 3 front SOFTKEY buttons (functions change depending on scanner status).
- Removable 3.7v 5400mAh 19.98Wh Extended Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery (Model BT-954) included with new models
- Built-in Battery Charger - charge the batteries in the scanner w a USB power cable
- Visual Independent Alert LED w/ 7 colors and 3 patterns.
- Charge/Battery Low Independent Alert LED
- USB PC Connectivity/charge port (USB Mini-B)
- Simultaneous charge while using
- USB PC Connectivity (USB Micro) - use to be determined
Features missing from SDS100 previously in BCD436HP
RR System Compatibility
- Analog Conventional Frequencies
- Requires, optional, Paid Upgrade w/ Registration via my.uniden.com.
- Firmware updates via MicroSD card or through USB port.
(subject to change)
- 25-512 MHz
- 758-824 MHz
- 849-869 MHz
- 894-960 MHz
- 1240-1300 MHz
Modulation & Steps
- AM, NFM, FM, WFM, or FMB.
- 5, 6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5, 15, 20, 25, 50, or 100 kHz
Included in the Box
- SDS100 Scanner Radio
- SMA Semi-Ridged Antenna
- SMA- BNC adapter
- 411.com Registration card
- USB to USB Mini-B programming / charge cable
- USB Wall brick 5V 2A (Model: AD-1278)
- Extended Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery 3.7v 5400mAh 19.98Wh (Model BT-954)
- Extended battery door
- Rotating Belt Clip
- Belt clip Plastic Attachment with 1 screw installed
- Owner’s manual printed copy w online pdf format available
- microSD Card (8GB) installed
- External Box
- Formed Cardboard packaging - molded pulp
- Various plastic bags for listed components
Included on the microSD CARD
- A copy of the RadioReference Database (HPDB)
- Uniden's Sentinel Software. which can also be found here
- Pre-Formatted with FAT 32 Filing System
- Main Folder named "TBA"
- Below TBA folder contains:
- (7)Sub-Folders: activity_log, alert, audio, discovery, favorite_list, firmware, HPDB
- (4)Loose Files:
- Configuration files: app_data.cfg, discovery.cfg1<sup/>, profile.cfg
- Set-Up file: scanner.inf
Lithium Ion battery or use of USB 5V DC ≥300mA.
- See open beta firmware topic
- Poor battery performance. Extended battery design is shipping with new models, Uniden will send new battery with proper performance to everyone that registers his scanner.
- Pin 2 (ID) is used for GPS Serial Data
- Pin 3 and 4 are for Serial Data
Frequently Asked Questions Support Pages
Groups and Message Boards
Return to Uniden Scanners