From The RadioReference Wiki
- 1 Applying To Broadcast A Feed
- 2 Feed Provider Incentives
- 3 Feed Provider Terms of Service
- 4 Feed Notification Settings
- 5 Feed Status Messages (Feed Owners)
- 6 Request A Feed Change (Feed Owners)
- 7 RR Live Audio Policy
- 8 Applying for an Official Feed
Applying To Broadcast A Feed
Before you decide to become a feed provider, please read the entire article for various policy and procedure guidelines. Following these feed request guidelines as this will help us process and approve your feed request in a timely manner. A feed request lacking a good feed description and other information may result in us having to go back to you asking for more information, clarification of what you what to stream, etc. This will result in a delay in approving your feed request or denial of the stream request.
Your feed description
NOTE: Frequency/TG/Channels information is required. Not providing this information WILL result in feed processing delays or feed DENIAL.
Here is a description of a Good feed description for a single scanner (mono) stream:
- West Columbia Police Department Dispatch Channel -Talk group ID 21432 on Palmetto 800Mhz TRS CC 860.3375
Here are examples of BAD feed descriptions for a single scanner (mono) stream:
- Gwinnett County Police, Fire and EMS
- Gwinnett City Police and Fire
- Maricopa County Law Enforcement
(includes County Sheriff, Phoenix,Tempe, Mesa, Apache Junction and Gilbert Police Departments / DPS)
- Fulton County Public Safety
(Includes Sheriff, Police and Fire)
- Fargo-Dilworth BNSF Railroad Road and Yard Channels
- Boone County Sheriff and Fire:(includes Belvidere Police and Fire and Capron Fire, covers Winnebago County)
- Dubuque area Marine and Railroad
- Amateur Radio Repeaters in Santa Cruz County and the Monterrey Bay Area:
(W6WLS, W6MOW, W6WLS, WB6YAM, WR6AOK, K6BJ, K6LY, WB6ECE)
Here are examples of BAD descriptions for a two scanner (stereo) stream:
- San Mateo County Fire and CAL FIRE:
LEFT Side - San Mateo County Fire Service
RIGHT Side - CAL FIRE for the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond
- Contra Costa County Fire and Antioch / Brentwood Police:
LEFT Side - Contra Costa County Fire dispatch
RIGHT Side - Contra Costa County Fire tactical channels, Antioch / Brentwood Police, and CAL FIRE
- Bureau County Sheriff, Fire, EMS and StarCom21:
LEFT Side - Bureau County Fire
RIGHT Side - StarCom21
Here are examples of Bad descriptions: (resulting in feed denial or processing delays)
- SouthWest Iowa Music, Police Scanner, and Talk Radio
- Pager Tones
- Police Scanner
- All feeds
- Police, Fire
- Public Safety
- Home Scanner
- Gwinnett County
- Gwinnett County TSYS
- Fulton County and Surrounding Counties
- TPD, TFD, and STFD
- Baltimore County Talkgroups ( change to Baltimore County Public Safety)
Avoid duplicate feeds
Please check the existing county listings in your state before you decide to become a feed provider. Look at what is already there because we want to avoid complete duplication of existing feeds.
If there is an existing stream in your county for “Home County Sheriff and Fire”, please do not request another matching feed. However you could request a feed for “Home City Police and Fire (also includes Home County Sheriff and Fire). This is at least a different feed.
Look at other feed listings
Please look at the many other feed listings and what others are scanning. This will aid you in choosing what to scan and how to list it.
Use proper spelling etiquette and sentence structure
Nothing would look more embarrassing then having a feed with incorrect grammar.
PLEASE follow these guidelines when submitting a feed application or replying to Audio Admins:
- Pay attention to your Spelling, Punctuation, and Capitalization. Please use proper sentence structure in all correspondence.
- Use proper sentence structure and do not submit feed requests in either all upper or lower case.
- If we send you an e-mail asking you for more feed information, use the "Reply" feature. Please do not send the requested information in a separate e-mail.
Include details in the feed information page
Please include the following in your feed information page:
- List all agencies on the feed.
- List the Frequencies/Talkgroups/Channels the agency's use
Note: The more info you provide the faster your feed will be approved.
Feed Provider Incentives
We provide incentives to feed providers based on listener counts. See the following article below for the latest incentives and rules.
Feed Provider Terms of Service
There are restrictions on broadcast content that all feed providers must adhere to. They are listed on the feed provider terms of service page:
Feed Notification Settings
Time Down Action ============================================ 15 min Email Notification to Feed Owner 6 Hours Email Notification to Feed Owner 24 Hours Email Notification to Feed Owner 7 days Email Notification to Feed Owner 14 days Email notification and feed deactivated. 21 days Feed deleted.
- NOTE: Feed must be online to receive premium subscriber status
- NOTE: If prior arrangements are made with the Live Audio Administration staff we can prevent a feed from being deleted if it needs extended downtime.
- NOTE: Feed Owner will also receive an Email Notification when feed goes back online.
Feed Status Messages (Feed Owners)
The audio administration team has noticed that feed broadcasters have been using their feed status message to communicate all sorts of information, including soliciting donations, promoting other Web sites, showing Feed hours of operation or any feed online / back online messages, Advertisements, Links, and providing descriptive information on what is being broadcast.
Types of status messages which are NOT allowed
- Soliciting Donations
- Promoting other Web sites
- Providing descriptive information on what is being broadcast(Use "Secondary Description" field)
- Feed hours of operation or any feed online / back online type of messages. (If the feed is working, there is no need of a message.)
The feed status message was designed to give listeners the status of a feed that is either down or having problems. We request that any other information regarding your feed either be placed in the description of your feed or be moved to your feed information page.
Below is an example of the proper use of the feed status message:
Request A Feed Change (Feed Owners)
When requesting a feed change please do not use abbreviations, instead please spell out the entire word. Please keep change requests brief but specific as possible.
RR Live Audio Policy
Use of the "Secondary Description" field
The purpose of this field is to provide additional descriptive details about what your feed is broadcasting. The RR Staff reserves the right to edit and update this field to comply with this policy. No Ads, no HTML. (Max 255 characters, text only)
Use of the "News and Feed Alerts" field
This field will expire 2 hours after being updated. Please use this field ONLY to alert users to a breaking incident or noteworthy event happening on your broadcast (weather watches and warnings are not acceptable). The RR Staff reserves the right to edit and update this field to comply with this policy (Max 255 characters, text only)
Example feed alerts:
* Manhunt underway in the xxx area for a shooting suspect. * Police investigating suspicious package at xxx, many units on scene. * Plane crash near xxx and yyy. * 2,100 acre wildfire near xxx, many homes burned, fire not controlled at this time. * 5-alarm structure fire at 123 Xyz Street. * President Obama in town from x:xx am until x:xx pm
Applying for an Official Feed
Feeds can only be designated as official if the agency broadcasting the feed sends a letter to RadioReference.com on official letterhead requesting that the feed be identified as officially broadcast by the organization.
The letter needs to contain the name and location of the feed broadcast, as well as a statement indicating that the organization wishes to have the feed marked as provided by an official agency.
The letter should be sent to:
RadioReference.com LLC ATTN: Lindsay Blanton 1150 N Loop 1604 W Suite 108-556 San Antonio, TX 78248