Freescan Create Group
From The RadioReference Wiki
Editing a group is the lowest level in the Dynamic Memory Architecture. Here you can have either frequencies (if you've allocated a conventional system) or talkgroups (for a trunked system). This screen can be accessed by putting the cursor on the desired group. When FreeScan allocates a new system, a new site and group are also allocated.
Editing a Conventional Group
- Name - the name allocated when the import from the UASD or RadioReference completed, or the one used when the group was allocated manually. Notice that it can be justified using one of the three tools at the top right of the name field, or by using the Justify Channel Names function. To change data in this column, double click on it first.
- Quick Key - the Group Quick Key (GQK) assigned to this group. The Find Free button will attempt to find the next unassigned GQK - however you can override this with the pulldown
- Locked Out - If checked, this group is locked out and will not be scanned
- Notice that over the Display column are three tools - these will also justify the display names.
- + - Insert a line
- X - Delete a line
- Up/Down arrow - moves a line up or down in the display
- EZ-GRAB - See the EZ GRAB article on how to use this function
- Display - The alpha text to be displayed when the group is scanned. Limited to 16 characters for the 996 and 15.
- Frequency - in Mhz
- Step - The seperation, in khz, between each frequency. In most cases AUTO will work, although you may need to change it if defining a narrow band system. See the Refarming article for a discussion of narrowbanding, and its impact on frequency allocations.
- Mod - the operating mode for this frequency
- L/O - If checked this frequency is locked out
- ATT - If checked this frequency is attenuated in signal strength by 20db
- PRI - Priority. If checked this frequency is checked every 2 seconds
- TONE - Either PL or DCS - the subaudible tone associated with this frequency. You can also use this to select 'Search' mode.
- Alt Tone - Alert Tone. Set off an alert when the channel becomes active.
- Alt Lvl - Alert Level. Varies between 1 and 15
- Type - Alert type. There are 9 different types of alerts; consists of varying beep types.
- Tone LO - Tone Lockout. Sets the tone for the scanner to ignore; in other words, if the scanner detects the tone the signal will by bypassed.
- Tape (For use with the BCT15 and BCD996 only)- when it's ON or ALL this channel's audio will be sent to the tape out jack.
- Comment - Comments stored within FreeScan, and not uploaded to the scanner
Editing a Trunked Group
Most every key shown here is also defined on the Conventional screen. The TGID is the Talkgroup ID for the system being defined.