Getting Started with your PRO-96 or PRO-2096
From The RadioReference Wiki
Newcomers often find programming a scanner to be a daunting task. This article links to several resources to help you get started. Note that anything in blue is a link.
The Nuts and Bolts
- If you're a newcomer, you've probably already discovered that there's a huge amount of terms that seem unfamiliar to you. Our Glossary has lots of these terms, along with definitions. Just click on the term you wish to view.
- When looking at frequencies in our database, float your mouse over the column header, and you should get a balloon with a brief description of the terms and abbreviations that are used there.
- The biggest hurdle for many is the concept of trunking. Our Trunking Basics article will get you started, as well as this PDF file written by UPMan. Note that you will need Adobe Acrobat or a compatible reader (such as Foxit) to read it.
- These scanners can't be upgraded for any of the newer protocols that are appearing; these include Project 25 Phase II, DMR, MOTOTRBO, EDACS Provoice and NXDN
- If you want to program these radios manually, these shortcuts will help
Owners Manuals and FAQs
- PRO-96 FAQ
- Answers to common questions such as can these radios be rebanded, Phase II and 380/700 Mhz trunking support can be found here
- The owner's manual for the Pro-96 can be downloaded from here
- The owner's manual for the Pro-2096 can be downloaded from here
Software, Data and USB cables
- There are 2 applications that are designed to work with these scanners
- You will need a USB-serial converter to connect the PC and scanner. With RS gone, the programming cable harder to find. See the Aftermarket Cables section of the Connecting scanners via USB article.
- You will also need data, as the V folders as supplied are very out of date. If you purchase a premium subscription you can download data from our database. Alternately you can go to your state's forum and ask for a file. Be specific as to what software you are using, as not all formats are compatible with one another.