Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) (IL)
From The RadioReference Wiki
Return to IDOT database page
- 1 Road Condition Codes
- 2 Districts
- 3 Communications / Frequencies
- 4 STARCOM21 Usage
- 5 District 8
- 6 Related Links
Road Condition Codes
- Code 1: All Clear – Pavement is clear of ice and snow.
- Code 2: Scattered – Scattered slick spots on pavements and bridge decks, or wet freezing pavements.
- Code 3: 75% Bare – Pavement clear except for a narrow strip on the edge.
- Code 4: 50% Bare – When a strip of ice or packed snow, some 4’ wide, remains in the center of the pavement with a 2’ to 3’ strip along each edge.
- Code 5: 25% Bare – When there is a narrow strip of bare pavement from 6” to 2’ in each lane where the tires travel.
- Code 6: Snow Covered – When the pavement on a route or portion of the District is covered with ice or packed snow.
District 1 - Schaumburg (Chicagoland Area)
- Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will Counties
District 1 Radio call signs and their associated yards
- CONTROL - Dispatchers at the District 1 HQ in Schaumburg
- 190 to 209 Landscape (L)
- 210 to 239 Gurnee (GU)
- 240 to 269 Grayslake and Lake Zurich satellite yard (G)
- 270 to 299 Woodstock (W)
- 300 to 329 Northbrook (NB)
- 330 to 359 Edens Expressway (E)
- 360 to 389 Kennedy Expressway (K)
- 390 to 419 Arlington Heights (AH)
- 420 to 449 Bridge inspectors
- 450 to 479 Eisenhower Expressway (IK)
- 480 to 499 Naperville (NA)
- 500 to 529 Oak Brook (OB)
- 530 to 559 St. Charles (SC)
- 560 to 589 Bridge (B)
- 590 to 619 Northside (NS)
- 620 to 649 Hillside (H)
- 650 to 679 Dan Ryan Expressway (D)
- 680 to 709 Stevenson Expressway (S)
- 710 to 739 Alsip (A)
- 740 to 769 I-57 (M)
- 770 to 799 Bishop Ford Expressway (BF)
- 800 to 829 Harvey (HY)
- 830 to 849 Joliet (J)
- 850 to 869 I-55 and Birds Bridge satellite yard (F)
- 870 to 899 New Lenox and Monee satellite yard (NL)
- 900 to 969 Emergency Traffic Patrols (ETP)
- 1420 to 1487 Sign shops (Northside, Elgin, Southside/Markham, New Lenox)
- 1500 to 1535 Rodenberg (R)
Yards have additional call signs and RID's not listed above, typically for portables and additional equipment. Some of those can be found on the Starcom21 wiki. Trucks have their radio ID's mounted on top, with the yard code before the radio ID. For example GU226 is from Gurnee.
- "Minimal coverage" = quarter group AKA four trucks per yard.
- "Night coverage" = two plows + lead worker per yard.
- "All clear" = roads are dry, and all trucks are to return to yards.
- Several dispatch talkgroups are patched together during snow events. These are where icing complaints, accidents, and pavement codes are aired.
- Mobile to mobile talkgroups are not patched and are for individual yards to talk amongst themselves.
District 2 - Dixon
- Bureau, Carroll, Lee, Ogle, Rock Island, Henry and Whiteside Counties
- Ohio (BUREAU) for Bases on 47.14, 47.34, 47.38 Base/Mobile WQQI740
- Compton (LEE) for Bases on 47.14, 47.34, 47.38 Base/Mobile WQQI738
- Amboy, Belvidere, Compton, Creston, Davis Junction, Dixon, Eleroy, Forreston, Galena, Galva, Geneso, Lyndon, Lynn Center, Milan, Milan Storage, Morrison, Mt. Carroll, Oregon, Osco Storage, Rock Falls, Rockford, Roscoe, Silvis, Stockton, Sycamore, Waterman storage, Forreston storage.
District 3 - Ottawa
- Bureau, Dekalb, Ford, Grundy, Iroquois, Kankakee, Kendall, LaSalle, Livingston Counties
- Kankakee, Watseka, Wenona, Ashkum, Pontiac, Pontiac Traffic, Gibson City, Bloomington, Ottawa, LaSalle, Princeton, Ladd, Morris, Yorkville, Buckley, Gardner, Towanda, Reading storage, Langley storage, Dwight storage.
District 4 - Peoria
- Fulton, Henderson, Knox, McDonough, Marshall, Mercer, Peoria, Putnam, Stark, Tazewell, Warren, Woodford Counties
- Wenona (Marshall) for Bases on 47.02, 47.1, 47.14, 47.38 Base/Mobile WQQI745
- Monmouth (WARREN) for 47.06, 47.18, 47.3, 47.38 Base/Mobile WQQI741
- Farmington (FULTON) for 47.06, 47.18, 47.3, 47.38 Base/Mobile WQQI461
- Aledo, Biggsville, Brimfield, Monmouth, Edwards, Morton, Hopedale, Knoxville, Wyoming, Lewiston, Macomb, East Peoria, El Paso, Wenona, West Peoria, Sparland storage, Farmington storage.
District 5 - Paris
- Champaign, DeWitt, Douglas, Edgar, McLean, Piatt, Vermilion Counties
- Monticello, Clinton, Bloomington, Towanda, LeRoy, Paris, Tuscola, Danville, Champaign, Leverett, Farmer City storage, Mansfield storage.
District 6 - Springfield
- Adams, Brown, Cass, Christian, Hancock, Logan, Macoupin, Mason, Menard, Montgomery, Morgan, Pike, Sangamon, Schuyler, Scott Counties
- Barry, Carlinville, Carthage, Jacksonville, Lincoln, Litchfield, Mason City, Mt. Sterling, Petersburg, Pittsfield, Quincy, Riggston Satellite, Riverton, Rushville, Springfield West, Taylorville, Virginia, Divernon storage, Havana storage
- Bodine Electric of Springfield does traffic light maintenance in the area.
District 7 - Effingham
- Clark, Clay, Coles, Crawford, Cumberland, Edwards, Effingham, Fayette, Jasper, Lawrence, Macon, Moultrie, Richland, Shelby, Wabash, Wayne Counties
- Sullivan, Decatur, Vandalia, Effingham, Shelbyville, Mattoon, Charleston satellite, Lawrenceville, Newton, Robinson, Flora, Olney satellite, Marshall, Greenup, Fairfield, Browns Satellite.
District 8 - Fairview Heights
- Bond, Calhoun, Clinton, Greene, Jersey, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Randolph, St. Clair, Washington Counties
- Base heard calling EPV-53 on 47.02 110.9 PL
- Belleville, Tunnel storage, Hecker, Steeleville, Greenville, Carlyle, Nashville, Hamel, Salem, Wood River, Troy, Jerseyville, Carrollton, Bowman Shed, Columbia, Highland, Scott Dome, Mitchell Satellite, Godfrey storage, Pierron storage, Fairview Heights, Brussels Ferry, Kampsville Ferry.
District 9 - Carbondale
- Alexander, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Massac, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Saline, Union, White, Williamson Counties
- Anna, Belgrade Satellite, Pinckneyville, Murphysboro, West City, Marion, Harrisburg, Elizabethtown, Shawneetown Satellite, Vienna, Cairo Satellite, Dongola, Mt. Vernon, Enfield, Dixon Springs storage.
Communications / Frequencies
- Maintain operable and interoperable capabilities along with primary, redundant and supportive communications
- Maintain communication centers -- 4 24-hour communication centers and 9 district communication centers
- Maintain a high band and UHF radio system in the Chicago area.
- Maintain an emergency command center located in Carbondale equipped with National Interoperable frequencies and satellite communications.
- Maintain Mobile Emergency Operations Centers (MEOC) located in Ottawa, Dixon, Peoria, Paris, Springfield and Effingham.
Statewide Portable Frequencies - Unidentified uses and tones
- 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Saline County WNZU567
- 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Jackson County WNZU571
- 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 16kmra Massac County WPFU937
- 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 16kmra Livingston County WPFU938
- 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Franklin County WNUE273
- 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Williamson County WNUE262
- 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Sangamon County KD39304
- Statewide Temporary Fixed Bases on: 47.02, 47.06, 47.1, 47.14, 47.18, 47.28, 47.3, 47.36, 47.38 (20K) 150.995, 151.04, 151.07, 151.13, 156.045, 156.06, 156.12, 156.135, 159.18, 159.195 WPGA913
- 453.3625, 453.5125, 453.5375, 453.6875, 453.7125, 453.7625, 453.8875, 453.9125, 458.3625, 458.4625, 458.5125, 458.5375, 458.6875, 458.7125, 458.7625, 458.8875, 458.9125 Statewide Portables KJK803
- Mobiles on 155.055, 155.925, 453.025, 453.3, 453.35, 453.6, 453.65, 453.8, 453.875, 453.9, 458.3, 458.35, 458.6, 458.65, 458.8, 458.875, 458.9 Statewide KR5616
Most districts in the state are using Starcom21 for their radio communications.
10/13 - McHenry Co. Primary, 453.4875, has been replaced by 453.6375 in a modification to callsign WQPX735. Please submit if this has been confirmed as in use. [8/13 - need update] F1 (150.995) and F8 (453.4) are simulcast. Other channels can be patched as needed.
There is a shorthand way of referring to the expressways so that NW @ Harlem is understood as outbound JFK @ Harlem. NW & SE = JFK E & W = IKE NE & SW = I 55 N & S = Dan Ryan & Eedens and I 57 & Ford
IDOT Emergency Patrol Vehicle's carry both UHF and SC21 radios. UHF frequencies are primary and SC21 is used as fallback. (as of 8/13) Conventional P25 Radio IDs (RIDs)
- 743, 744, 755, 772 on 453.1875 (6/23/15)
- 369004 - dispatcher on 453.1875 (6/23/15)
- 369007 - Communications Consoles Emergency Traffic Patrol (Dispatcher)
- 369008 - Communications Consoles Emergency Traffic Patrol (Dispatcher)
IDOT D1 PORTABLE ZONE A LAYOUT
- CH 1 McHenry PRI
- CH 2 McHenry M2M
- CH 3 McHenry SEC
- CH 4 NORTH E. PRI
- CH 5 NORTH E. M2M
- CH 6 NORTH E. SEC
- CH 7 KANE PRI
- CH 8 KANE M2M
- CH 9 KANE SEC
- CH 10 CENTRAL PRI
- CH 11 CENTRAL M2M
- CH 12 CENTRAL SEC
- CH 13 DOT D1 DET A
- CH 14 DOT D1 DET B
- CH 15 STATE WIDE
- CH 16 DOT D1 WIDE
IDOT D1 PORTABLE ZONE B LAYOUT
- CH 1 SOUTH PRI
- CH 2 SOUTH M2M
- CH 3 SOUTH SEC
- CH 4 EXPYWAY PRI
- CH 5 EXPYWAY M2M
- CH 6 EXPYWAY SEC
- CH 7 ETP PRI
- CH 8 ETP M2M
- CH 9 ETP SEC
- CH 10 ADMIN PRI
- CH 11 ADMIN M2M
- CH 12 ADMIN SEC
- CH 13 DOT D1 DET A
- CH 14 DOT D1 DET B
- CH 15 STATE WIDE
- CH 16 DOT D1 WIDE
EPV Highway Codes
- A -
- B -
- C -
- D -
- E -
- F -
- G -
- H - I-55? (ESTL area?)
- Egizi Electric of Springfield is contracted to install/maintain most Traffic Signals in the District 6 & District 8 areas (known to work in Springfield, Carlinville, Litchfield, Glen Carbon)