Programming the BCT-8
From The RadioReference Wiki
Program the Control and Voice Frequencies
- Press and hold TRUNK for a couple of seconds to enter Trunk Programming mode.
- Use the number pad to choose a bank number (1, 2, 3, 4, or 5) where you want to store this trunk. If you haven't done any trunk programming before, use bank 1 (press the 1 key). If you already have something programmed into your other banks, choose a new bank number. Remember you can only store one trunk per bank.
- Press the up arrow until you find what system type you want. See the chart below. Then press the E button.
- Prog F will appear on the scanner display. Press the E button again. The display will show 1 000.0000.
- Using the keypad, type in the first frequency, then press E.
- Press the up-arrow button. The display will show 2 000.0000.
- Using the keypad, type in the next frequency, then press E.
- Continue untill all are entered. You must enter ALL the frequencies for a given system
- For EDACS and LTR systems, the frequencies must be entered in Logical Channel Number sequence - even if it seems that certain numbers are skipped. Be sure to leave position 00 empty.
- The Logical Channel Number is always found as a small 2 digit number to the lower left of the frequency in the RadioReference database.
- This scanner is compatible with the following Trunking System Types and System Voices used in the RadioReference Database, of course you must verify that the scanner will cover the appropriate frequency range:
|System Type||Screen Display|
|Motorola Type I1||E1|
|Motorola Type I Rebanded 4||E1-Cus|
|Motorola Type IIi Hybrid 1||E1|
|Motorola Type II||E2-800|
|Motorola Type II Rebanded 4||E2-Cus|
|Motorola Type II Smartnet||E2-800|
|Motorola Type II Smartzone||E2-800|
|Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink||E2-800|
|Motorola Type II VHF 2||E2-Hi|
|Motorola Type II UHF 3||E2-UHF|
|EDACS Standard (Wide)||Ed|
|EDACS Standard Networked||Ed|
|EDACS SCAT||Ed SCt|
- Requires the use of a fleet map
- 136-174 Mhz. Requires the use of a custom table.
- 406-512 Mhz. Requires the use of a custom table.
- Requires the newer 1.60 firmware and entry of a custom table. See the Entering a Rebanding Table section of the BCT-8 Firmware Update article on the Uniden twiki. This type should cover the majority of Motorola Type 2 systems that are rebanded.
- If you have selected E2-Hi or E2-UHF as the system type;
- Use the up or down key to select base , then press E.
- Use the keypad to enter Configuration Block Number 1
- Use the keypad to enter the Base Frequency, then press E.
- Press the up arrow key and select for entering the Spacing Frequency.
- Use the keypad to enter a new Spacing Frequency, then press E.
- Press the up arrow key and enter the OffsetChannel (usually 380).
- Repeat these steps for Blocks 2 and 3 if needed.
- If you are programming a Motorola system that has been flagged as rebanded on the RadioReference database, then you must enter a custom table as shown at the bottom of the Uniden TWiki (linked above). Note however that a custom table will only be required if any of the system frequencies have a zero in the fourth decimal position. If they all have a '5', or the system is an EDACS type, only reprogramming - without any firmware updates - is required. In the case of an EDACS system it is imperative that the LCN be maintained.
- System Voices
- For those systems listed as Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface , this scanner will only copy those talkgroups that are listed with a mode of A. Anything with a mode of D (digital) will not be copyable. Anything with an E in the mode field is encrypted, and no scanner can copy these.
- This scanner is not compatible with any system marked APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive. These systems require a digital trunktracker to successfully copy. This scanner is also not compatible with the following system types;
- Press HOLD/RESUME while in the trunked bank. "Prog F" appears on the display. Press the up arrow. Prog id appears on the display.
- Press the "E" button.
- Begin entering the talkgroup IDs you're interested in.
- For EDACS systems, use the decimal key in place of the dash. This is for entering talkgroups in the Agency-Fleet-Subfleet (AFS) format. For example; punch: 02 decimal 126, for 02-126.
- Press E to set the talkgroup. Press the Up arrow.
- Key in the next talkgroup, hit E to set then the Up arrow to proceed to the next one
- Repeat this procedure until you have entered all the talkgroup IDs you are interested in.
- To begin scanning, press the scan button. The scan button on the BCT8 is actually the Search button.
- If you see "Bx SCAN id" scrolling across the display, you are NOT in the proper scan mode. Press the scan button until you see ID SCAN to scan only the id's you put in or to just SCAN to scan all the talk group id's.
thanks to Bullmax for the above