From The RadioReference Wiki
Revision as of 20:07, 4 October 2005 by Cuca24
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
It is our desire to get you up to speed as quick as possible with *correct information*. This FAQ exists to assist those new to the hobby of scanning.
General Scanning Questions
- What is CTCSS?
- What is DCS?
- What is Simplex?
- What is Duplex?
- What is a Repeater?
- What is SAME?
- What is an input frequency and an output frequency?
Specific Scanning Questions
- Can I bring my scanner on an airplane? Read the Scanning on an Airplane and Scanners and Airport Security pages.
- Is scanning legal? Read this informative site on scanner laws.
- I am a railfan and would like to scan, what frequencies do they use are they? See Railroad frequencies.
- How do I use the RadioReference.com Web Service? The RadioReference.com Web Service is an XML interface to all of the Trunked System information in the RR Database. It is available to all donating users of the site. See the The RadioReference.com Web Service page for more information on applications that support the Web service, and the specification for applications developers.
§ Tidbits and snips from the following people's posts in the forum's at radioreference.com were edited to construct this FAQ: (in no particular order)
Voyager, N_Jay, DaveNF2G, ChrisP
§ Some information was repackaged from these websites: