SDS100 and SDS200 FAQ Page
From The RadioReference Wiki
Welcome to the SDS100 and SDS200 FAQ page. Please document tips, tricks, problems (and hopefully resolutions) here. For Videos, software, accessories and mailing lists please see page 2 of this document
NOTE: We have separate FAQs for other Uniden products;
- If you are looking for information on the x36hp series scanners, see the BCD436HP and BCD536HP Scanner FAQ. That FAQ should also be consulted for other issues with the SDS series as they share a great many things in common
- Sentinel (Uniden's software) questions and answers should be found in Sentinel for the BCD436HP/BCD536HP/SDS100/SDS200
- If you are looking for HomePatrol-1 or HomePatrol-2 information, see the Uniden Home Patrol FAQ
- If you are looking for other Uniden 2 tier DMA driven scanners, see the Uniden DMA FAQ
- 1 The Nuts and Bolts
- 2 Relevant Resource Material
- 3 What Must I Do First?
- 4 Tips on Preventing Database Corruption
- 5 Feature List and Functions Discussions
- 5.1 Add a P25 Frequency to a List
- 5.2 Bandscope
- 5.3 Connect to the SDS200 via WiFi
- 5.4 Control Channel Only
- 5.5 Copy Data from a SDS100 to a SDS200
- 5.6 Customize the Display
- 5.7 Digital End Code Detection
- 5.8 DMR MOTOTRBO Programming
- 5.9 Finding the ESN
- 5.10 Firmware Updates and Support Files
- 5.11 Global Filters
- 5.12 Global Positioning Systems (GPS) DIY
- 5.13 I-Call
- 5.14 Keypad Shortcuts
- 5.15 LCN Finder
- 5.16 Location Based Scanning
- 5.17 Manual Tuning (VFO mode)
- 5.18 NXDN Discussions
- 5.19 Priority Channel
- 5.20 Reset the Scanner
- 5.21 USB Programming Cable
- 6 Issues Discussions (General)
- 7 Issues Discussions (SDS100)
- 8 Issues Discussions (SDS200)
The Nuts and Bolts
- If you're a newcomer, you've probably already discovered that there's a huge amount of terms that seem unfamiliar to you. Our Glossary has lots of these terms, along with definitions. Just click on the term you wish to view.
- When looking at frequencies in our database, float your mouse over the column header, and you should get a balloon with a brief description of the terms and abbreviations that are used there.
- The biggest hurdle for many is the concept of trunking. Our Trunking Basics article will get you started, as well as this PDF file written by UPMan. Note that you will need Adobe Acrobat or a compatible reader (such as Foxit) to read it.
Relevant Resource Material
- Are there any better user manuals for the SDS100 / 200?
- Do we have any relevant wiki articles on the terminology and concepts these scanners use?
- Are there any additional resources?
- I lost my owners manual. Where can I download a replacement?
What Must I Do First?
- See the New SDS100 owners - first things to do Thread
- New SDS200 Owner Thread
- SDS200 Trunking Help Thread
Tips on Preventing Database Corruption
- Always turn off the power switch, wait about 10 seconds then unplug it
- Use recording and the replay options as little as possible
- Periodically reformat the SD card
- I am getting a corruption message. My favorites are in (French, Spanish, etc.)
- Make sure that the Regional Setting in Windows is set correctly.
- Here is another method to restore your database and the date on the database is the same as the one being downloaded
- Look in C:\ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinel\Updater\ (note the ProgramData directory may be hidden. Use View and make sure Show Hidden Files is checked
- Remove the GZ file in that folder
- In Sentinel select Update --> Update Master Database.
Feature List and Functions Discussions
Add a P25 Frequency to a List
- See the SDS100 / SDS200 Bandscope Thread
- SDS100 Spectrum Display Waterfall-What Am I Missing? Thread
- SDS200 Waterfall Demo Thread
- Experimental Bandscope Program (Facebook Free Scanner Software group)
Connect to the SDS200 via WiFi
Control Channel Only
Copy Data from a SDS100 to a SDS200
- See the Set Up my new SDS200 Thread
Customize the Display
- See the Change the SDS100 and 200 Opening Screen Thread
- SDS100 Startup Screen Says SDS200 Thread
- See the How do I set up my display? Thread
- Background Colors and Text Thread
- SDS100 Text Color Thread
- See the SDS100 Display Color Options Thread
Digital End Code Detection
DMR MOTOTRBO Programming
Finding the ESN
- How do I find the ESN of my scanner so I can perform an upgrade?
- See the Finding ESN/Sub number Thread
Firmware Updates and Support Files
- Where can I find...
- The firmware updates for the SDS100?
- The firmware updates for the SDS200?
- Go to the SDS200 Firmware Twiki page
- The latest version of Sentinel?
- Go to the Sentinel (Uniden software) article
- A copy of the USB Serial Drivers?
- The serial driver can be found as a zip file link here Note: The x36 and SDS versions are the same
- SDS100 SDS200 Filter Settings (PDF)
- See the Global Filter Settings Spreadsheet and Information Thread
- See the SDS200 Filter Settings Thread
- See the What is the difference with all the filters in the SDS100 Thread
- See the Global Filter Modes Thread
- See the The Art Of Filtering Thread
- See the SDS100 Filter Failure Thread
- See the What is the Difference With All the Filters in the SDS100? Thread
Global Positioning Systems (GPS) DIY
- Johns Tech Log - GPS
- See the How to Make a GPS for the SDS100 for USD42 Thread
- See the Help Troubleshooting a DIY GPS for SDS100 Thread
- See this section in the Easier to Read Manual
- They are listed in the manual and also in the SDS100 Keypad Shortcuts Thread
- LCN Finder (Easier to Read SDS100 / SDS200 Manual)
- LCN Finder Need Help Thread
- Having Trouble with LCN Finder Thread
Location Based Scanning
Manual Tuning (VFO mode)
- See the NXDN Tips for the BCDx36HP and SDS Scanners article
Reset the Scanner
USB Programming Cable
- See the Programming Cable for SDS100 / 200 Thread
- See the SDS100 USB / Power cable Thread
- See the pinout diagram on the SDS100 wiki
- See the SDS100 USB / Power cable Thread
Issues Discussions (General)
Create a Debug File
- Hold down the Avoid button and power on the scanner. Keep holding it until the favorite lists starts to load.
- Then go to the scanner menu and choose Setting and you should find a Set Debug Log Mode menu.
- Go in there and select SD Card and then exit out to normal scan mode.
- Let it scan for a minute or two and then connect the USB cable to scanner and PC and select Mass Storage Mode.
- With the Windows Explorer program that handles files, (or just hold down the Windows button and E on the PC keyboard and click on the SD card)
- Go into the SD card drive and down into the BCDx36HP folder and into the Debug folder.
FM broadcast Interference
Nothing to Scan
- See the Nothing to Scan article
Win7 cant find a File
Issues Discussions (SDS100)
- See the SDS100 Battery Issues Thread
Cold Solder Joint
- See the Cold Solder Joint Thread for a detailed description and picture. Unless you have the proper tools, this would be an Uniden repair.
- One of the first things to check is to make sure all desired service types are on. Right from the factory, only a few are active
- See the BCD436HP vs. SDS100 Missing Transmissions Thread
- See the sds-100-wont-receive-but-436-hear-the-same-channels-next-to-it Thread
Scanner Not Recognized by the PC
- See the SDS100 Scans Very Slow Thread
- See the Slow scanning with the SDS100 Thread
- See the SDS100 Slow Scanning Thread
- See the SDS100 Stopped Receiving Thread
Static on VHF or UHF Analog
Issues Discussions (SDS200)
- See the SDS200 Screen Flicker Thread
- See the SDS200 Freezing Issue Thread
- See the SDS200 Hum Reports Thread
- SDS200 hum was fixed but came back Thread
- SDS200 Hum as of 8-15-2019 Thread
- Using the NMP200 Thread
- SDS200 audio hum problem fixed now? Thread
- Unauthorized Modification To Fix Hum Thread
- SDS200 Possible Hum Thread
- SDS200 Background Noise Finally Resolved by Uniden Thread
RSSI Value of -1004?
Set the Backlight?
- See the SDS200 Set the Backlight Thread
- See the SDS200 Slow Scan Speed Thread