From The RadioReference Wiki
Revision as of 14:30, 29 December 2011 by Ka3jjz
On this page, you'll find a random sampling of questions and answers about scanning and radios. If you have a question, and find a good answer, please feel free to add both to this page. Only add questions, though, if you have the answers; if you need an answer to a question, and it's not on this page already, please try the Radio Reference forums.
General Scanning Questions
- ''Can I bring my scanner on an airplane?''
- ''Is scanning legal? How about in my car?''
- Read this informative site on scanner laws.
- ''What is the best scanner for me?''
- See the help provided on the scanner decision page.
- ''What are the codes and signals I hear public safety personnel using on the radio?''
If you are searching for specific frequencies in your area, the RR Database is the place to start - but sometimes there may be a better option....
- ''Where can I find frequencies for the various services, such as Railroads, Aircraft, etc.?''
- Please see our US/Canadian Common Frequencies article
- ''Where can I find frequencies for NASCAR, LPGA, NFL, etc.?''
- See our Sports frequencies article
- ''I'm flying into an airport that the RRDB doesnt have. Where can I find frequencies for it?''
- Go to the popular Airnav website
- ''I'm going on a cruise and would like to see if there's activity to be heard. Where can I find frequencies?''
- ''I need to look up a callsign I copied. Where can I find it?''
- ''I need to look up a frequency that isnt in the database. Where might I find it?''
- ''Where can I find out about military communications in my area?''
- Check out our Milcom article
- ''Where can I find out about frequencies used by the US Federal Government?''
- Check out our Federal frequencies article