Uniden DMA FAQ
From The RadioReference Wiki
Welcome to the Uniden DMA FAQ; here we'll start from scratch, and take you through some of the most basic of questions, and (in many cases) what things mean and how to find information. A word of explanation; if a word or phrase appears in blue and/or underlined, then it's a link; clicking it should take you to another article in our wiki, another part of our website or perhaps a different website.
What Models Does This FAQ Cover?
This FAQ covers the Uniden models that utilize 2 tier DMA memory architecture, specifically these show in the table below, We have additional, separate FAQs for the DMA 3 tier Uniden products, though many things listed below, are directly applicable;
- For the HomePatrol-1 and HomePatrol-2, see the Uniden Home Patrol FAQ
- For the BCDx36HP Series, see the BCD436HP and BCD536HP Scanner FAQ and FAQ Page 2
- For the SDS100 and SDS200, see the SDS100 and SDS200 FAQ Page
The Nuts and Bolts
- If you're a newcomer, you've probably already discovered that there's a huge amount of terms that seem unfamiliar to you. Our Glossary has lots of these terms, along with definitions. Just click on the term you wish to view.
- When looking at frequencies in our database, float your mouse over the column header, and you should get a balloon with a brief description of the terms and abbreviations that are used there.
- The biggest hurdle for many is the concept of trunking. Our Trunking Basics article will get you started, as well as this PDF file written by UPMan. Note that you will need Adobe Acrobat or a compatible reader (such as Foxit) to read it.
DMA Scanner Topics and Terms
- What is Dynamic Memory Architecture?
- What are Uniden Scanners Systems, Sites and Groups and how do they relate to each other?
- How does Trunking work with these scanners?
- What is Multi Site Trunking?
- What is the Close Call feature?
- What is Digital End Code detection and why do I want to use it?
- What is Control Channel Only and what does it apply to?
- How do I use the Fire Tone Out & Fire Tone Out Search feature?
- What does Location Based Scanning do for me? How does it work (BCD996T, BCT15, XT and P2 Scanners)?
- For the following issues, please see our DMA Scanners and Software article
- Connecting the scanner to the PC
- Programming questions
- Software packages
- For firmware updates and Rebanding please see our Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners article
- For audio issues (P25 decoding sounds bad, broken-up, unintelligible etc.) please see our DMA P25 Decoding and Audio Issues article
- For display, miscellaneous function and battery voltage and battery tips and related issues, please see our DMA Scanner Functions and Batteries article
- For undocumented hacks, please see our DMA Scanner Hacks article
- For basic test modes typically technicians use to access hidden features, any user could try and see what might work, please see our Uniden scanner test modes article.
- I see the Nothing to Scan error message or
- I turned off all my Favorites, Systems, or Groups off. What Should I do to re-enable Quick Keys?
- Please, see our Nothing to Scan article.
- I press the power button, but my Handheld i.e. (BCD396t BCD436HP) won't turn On, What gives?
- You must press and HOLD the Power Button for a full two seconds to turn the radio On (or Off). This is a safeguard, to prevent turning the scanner On or Off accidentally, such as: when you're carrying it in your pocket or on a belt.
Where can I get more information on the XT series of scanners?
- Go to the Scanner Guides on the Uniden TWiki site
The Manuals Are Too Confusing. Anyone have anything that's easier to read?
- Uniden did a fine job designing these radios. Too bad one cannot say the same about their manuals. Fortunately, there is another resource - loosely referred to as the 'Easier to Read' series, they have been generally lauded as being much more readable and understandable. As of this writing, the following members are available;
- Non-XT Scanners
- Easier to Read BCD996T/UBC996T Manual
- Easier To Read BCT15 Manual
- Easier to Read BR330T Manual
- Easier To Read BCD396T/UBCD396T Manual
- Easier to Read BC246T Manual
- Easier to Read (U)SC230 Manual
- Easier to Read UBC3500XLT Manual
- Easier to Read UBC800XLT Manual
- XT / P2 scanners
- Easier to Read BCD325P2 Manual
- Easier to Read BC346XT Manual
- Easier to Read BCD396XT Manual
- Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Manual
- Easier to Read BCT15-X Manual
- Printed manuals for sale via Scanner Master