Uniden Home Patrol FAQ
From The RadioReference Wiki
Revision as of 10:02, 29 December 2011 by OCO (Corrected PowerPatrol caveat)
Please document all issues that pertain to Home Patrol and their solutions here. If it's not in the owner's manual, please consider documenting it here. Be as specific as possible as to the steps taken - the devil is in the details. The more detail you provide, the better.
- How do I update the HP1 to the latest version?
- Cruise over to the Extreme Update wiki entry and follow the instructions.
- I get a loud buzz when connected to amplified speaker system. How do I get rid of it?
- Purchase a Ground Loop Isolator (RS No. 270-054) and install between radio and input to speaker system (thanks to kc2rgw)
- My HP1 is slow to respond to commands on the touch screen
- Symptom: When the radio restarts you end up at the initial 6 page setup. The favorites and database would not respond
- Get a new 2 Gig SD card
- Use Windows to quick format it before putting it in the Home Patrol.
- Connect Home Patrol to computer, opened Sentinel.
- From the toolbar clicked on Homepatrol, clear user data, check the box for "Display all drives", highlight the drive and then click OK. (thanks to fxdscon)
- My HP1 powers on but won't respond to the touch screen.
- The space between the bezel (the plastic frame around the screen, part of the front piece of the scanner) and the touchscreen, while small, is big enough in relative terms for something the size of a sesame seed to wedge in between the screen and bezel at the "bottom" of the screen. This can cause the screen to appear to "lock up" because there is something pressing on it (note the HP uses a single-touch screen unlike the new multi-touch phones, tablets, etc). A business card applied carefully as a means of extracting the foreign object should allow the screen to start functioning again. (thanks to Jay911)
- What do all those abbreviations I see in the Activity Log mean?
- The sheet that describes all the abbreviations as used in the activity log mode in the HP1 can be found here. Note that it is a PDF file so you need Adobe Acrobat or one of the other PDF utilities to read it
- I cant seem to get the recording function to work
- If you are running on battery power, and the voltage level drops too low, recording functions are disabled.
- Can I use the discovery mode to record without having batteries in the unit?
- No you must have a good set of batteries installed for this function to work
- How do I define an I-Call? Its not defined in the manuals
- Note: This will only work with the Extreme Upgrade.
If you are doing it on the Unit and you wish to do ID Scan instead of ID Search simply create a Department named "ICalls" in the system in which you wish to monitor ICalls. Then create a new channel and call it ICall. Then Do the following:
- That's the "i" (Under the 7) followed by a zero (0).
The i will change to a period like above. Select Accept and you should be good to go.
- Note: If you are doing ID Search you should not have to do the above.
- 2nd Note: In Sentinel do the same thing except put in a
- TGID of "i0" in a memory spot.
- If done correctly you should see something like this:
- Then ICalls should start to show up on the display'
- How do I add Service Search ranges to my HP1?
- Normally most scanners come with a number of service searches already defined - the HP1 does not. These service searches include the following;
- Citizens Band
- Common Itinerant and Business
- FRS/GMRS combined channel chart
- Marine VHF Channels
- Multi-Use Radio Service
- Current VHF Railroad Frequencies
- Narrowband VHF Railroad Frequencies
- UHF Railroad Allocations
- And some newer ranges, not listed in any scanner
- The answer depends on what software you are using
- For ARCPATROL, this software comes with a number of files already defined. See the ARCPATROL article for specific files and instructions.
- For Power Patrol, you can use the EZ-Grab function to pull frequencies from the articles linked above into a favorites list. NOTE: This software is not compatible with HP1 firmware version 2.0 or newer and is no longer supported.
- For Sentinel, see the Sentinel User's Guide