Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners
From The RadioReference Wiki
Revision as of 10:59, 29 October 2020 by Ronaldski
Please use this article to document issues, problems and resolutions regarding updating the firmware in the Uniden DMA scanners. In general 2 rules seem to apply;
- NEVER skip any steps in the process, regardless of how convoluted it seems
- ALWAYS use the AC adapter (best) or a freshly recharged set of batteries when applying the firmware. Low voltages can corrupt the process.
- Some USB converters seem to work poorly during this process for unknown reasons. At times it seems that it's best to perform this function with an older PC with a serial connection.
The database says my system has been rebanded. What do I need to do to trunk this system correctly?
- If the system is a Motorola type;
- If the system voice says APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive then reprogram using just the control channels. On most scanners, Control Channel Only mode is the default when working on these systems. This type of system is only decodable on the BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD996T, BCD996XT, BCD325P2, BCD996P2, BCD436HP, AND BCD536HP.
- If the system voice says anything else, look at all the frequencies. If the 4th decimal position is a '5' in every frequency, then you may be able to reprogram without firmware updates or a custom table. If any of the frequencies have a '0' then updating the scanner will be required to properly track this system
- EDACS type systems will only need to be reprogrammed with the new rebanded frequencies. No firmware fixes are required to track these systems.
How do I find out what firmware version my radio has?
- MENU --> Settings --> See Scanner Info
- You can find this information with special keystrokes. See the Uniden scanner test modes article for more information
What are the most current firmware releases for the trunktracking radios?
- Rebanding support started with version 3 of the firmware; additional point releases refined it. It's recommended that you have the latest firmware available.
- These scanners came with rebanding support out of the box (Otb) already installed, but there may be additional tweaks in later firmware releases.
- 15X link will say 1.03, but if you use the BC_VUP3 program, the 1.06.03 version is available.
Where do I get the firmware updates for my scanner? How do I apply them?
- Click on the desired model number in the table above. Follow all instructions as given.
How do I connect my PC and scanner? I don't have a serial port
- New PCs do not have serial ports, but they have USB. You will need a USB-serial converter. See the Connecting scanners via USB article for more information
- You will also need to set up the scanner's port to the correct speed. This information is summarized in the Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC article
- Once all this is done, it's wise to verify that the connection is working. The easiest way to do this is to install Freescan it's freeware, and use the virtual control to view your scanner as it's scanning. The FreeScan User Guide has the documentation on this.
I'm having a lot of trouble upgrading my firmware
- Please see the Firmware Upgrade (Uniden DMA Scanners) article for problems and solutions
I've entered the firmware changes for rebanding. How do I apply the table changes in software?
- Please see the Software Support for Uniden Rebanding article for the correct data to enter in the tables and software examples