RS/GRE PRO-92 Handheld Scanner
The Pro-92 was manufactured for RadioShack by GRE and was the first handheld LTR trunking scanner.
There are 3 firmware versions of the Pro-92. The first, 1.00, introduced in 1999 as the Pro-92, has sub-audible tone Motorola trunking that had the tendency to lose active Motorola transmissions. The second, 3.25, introduced in mid 2000 as the 92A, fixed that with control-channel trunking. And the third, 3.28, introduced in late 2000 as the 92B, is essentially the same as the 92A with minor SAME weather alert improvements.
- Rebanding supported?
- Original Version: YES
- Versions PRO-92A or B? NO-Rebanded frequency dependant
- The difference between the 3 versions:
- The A and B versions use control-channel trunking, which tells the radio which voice channel to go to, based on the band plan coded into the firmware. The PRO-92 (no A or B) uses sub-audible tone Motorola trunking where you need to enter all the voice channels in the system. The sub-audible tone directs the radio to one of those voice channels. In this case, the frequency that has the control channel would need to be locked out in "OPEN" mode.
- How to tell the difference;
- Turn the radio over and look on the back for the information sticker. In the upper right-hand corner, it will list the catalog number. If there is no A or B next to it, you have an original PRO-92.
- During power up, press 3. This shows the firmware's version number. If you have version 1.00, this is the original version.
- 10 banks of 50 channel each, total 500 channels
- 29-54, 108-174, 380-512, 806-960MHz range
- Scan rate 25cps
- 5, 12.5kHz steps
- Multi-mode trunking (Motorola I/II/IIi, EDACS, LTR)
- 1 list, 100 IDs per bank; 1000 total
- Auto LTR LCN programming
- AM, FM
- PL/DPL capability
- 12-character alpha tag capability
- 60 Re-programmable custom searches (100 w/Win92 freeware)
- 1 priority channel
- Weather alert/priority
- Computer interface
- No digital audio capability
- 6 AA alkaline/NiCad batteries
- A cloning cable may be fabricated using 2 1/8inch mono jacks and shielded cable
RR System Compatibility
This scanner is compatible with the following Trunking System Types and System Voices used in the RadioReference Database, of course you must verify that the scanner will cover the appropriate frequency range:
- System Types:
- Motorola Type I
- Motorola Type II
- Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
- Motorola Type II Smartnet
- Motorola Type II Smartzone
- Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
- EDACS Standard (Wide)
- EDACS Standard Networked
- LTR Standard
Reviews and User Opinions
- Starrsoft Products
- Other Distributors
- Ken Plotkin's webpage has the following software;
Yahoo Groups and Mailing Lists (software and receiver support)
Pro-92 Scanners for Sale
Return to Radio Shack Scanners