Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner
I want to change the programming in my GRE, Radio Shack or Whistler Scanner and I don't know what to do
Whether you're a newcomer or experienced scannist with lots of bank-oriented scanners, the thought of moving to object oriented programming can be rather daunting. We have a lot of resources to help you over the hump, but before we get to that, let's talk about some of the basics first.
Let's get started; anything in blue is a link.
What Models Does This Document Cover?
This document covers several models from GRE, Radio Shack and Whistler, all of which share basically the same functionality
- Trunking w/ Analog Voice Only scanners, others shown in table can handle up-to Digital P25 Phase I
The Nuts and Bolts
- If you're a newcomer, you've probably already discovered that there's a huge amount of terms that seem unfamiliar to you. Our Glossary has lots of these terms, along with definitions. Just click on the term you wish to view.
- When looking at frequencies in our database, float your mouse over the column header, and you should get a balloon with a brief description of the terms and abbreviations that are used there.
- The biggest hurdle for many is the concept of trunking. Our Trunking Basics article will get you started, as well as this PDF file written by UPMan. Note that you will need Adobe Acrobat or a compatible reader (such as Foxit) to read it.
Onto the Real Question
- Our GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ addresses many of the concepts (and some of the more common error messages) you'll encounter using these scanners.
- If you'd like to try your hand at programming your radio manually, see the Programming_Shortcut_PSR-500/600_RS_Pro-106/197 article.
- Many folks prefer using software to program. See the Object Oriented Scanner Software article for the links and additional information.
- You will need a USB-serial cable to connect the PC and scanner. See the Connecting scanners via USB article for the models that are compatible, along with an explanation on how to use Windows Device Manager to diagnose connection issues.
- This cable from the Whistler website will work with the prior RS and GRE models
- Lastly you need data. If you purchase a premium subscription you can download data from our database. Alternately you can go to your state's forum and ask for a file. Be specific as to what software you are using, as not all formats are compatible with one another.
Scanner and Software User Guides
- 3 of the popular packages for these scanners have 'Getting Started' user guides that can be helpful to the newcomer. See the links below
- Scanner Master Easier to Read Manuals
- If you have a PSR-310 or PSR-410, the Easier to Read manual can be found here. The printed version of this manual can be found here.