Columbus Air Force Base (CBM) Lowndes County (MS)
From The RadioReference Wiki
|Columbus Air Force Base DB||MediaWiki||Quickref||PDF Card||Mississippi Forum|
Welcome to the Columbus Air Force Base (CBM), Mississippi collaboration article. This is where you, the user, may index any articles you develop for scanning related topics for your area.
The host unit at Columbus is the 14th Flying Training Wing (14 FTW) assigned to the Air Education and Training Command (AETC). The 14 FTW's mission is to provide specialized undergraduate pilot training for U.S. Air Force and allied officers.
Columbus AFB has been training Air Force pilots since World War II, and that mission continues today. The base closed after the war and remained inactive until 1951 when it was reopened as a contract flying school to train pilots during the Korean War. Four years later, the base was transferred from Air Training Command to Strategic Air Command. Columbus became home to a SAC strategic wing with a KC-135 Stratotanker squadron and a B-52 Stratofortress squadron in the late 1950s. This wing was later redesignated a bombardment wing in the 1960s. In 1969, the SAC bomber mission at Columbus was inactivated and the base transferred back to the then Air Training Command as an Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) base. Columbus AFB then resumed the mission for which it originally activated, training pilots, and has continued to do so for the past 40 years.
About half the pilots in the Air Force today went through basic and primary flight training at Columbus AFB.
14th Flying Training Wing
- 14th Operations Group (14 OG)
- 37th Flying Training Squadron (37 FTS) T-6 Texan II "Bengal Tigers"
- 41st Flying Training Squadron (41 FTS) T-6 Texan II "Flying Buzzsaws"
- 43d Flying Training Squadron (43 FTS) T-6 Texan II, T-1 Jayhawk, and T-38 Talon
- 48th Flying Training Squadron (48 FTS) T-1 Jayhawk "Alley Cats"
- 49th Fighter Training Squadron (49 FTS)T-38 Talon "Black Knights"
- 50th Flying Training Squadron (50 FTS) T-38 Talon "Strikn' Snakes
- 14th Operations Support Squadron (14 OSS)
- 14th Student Squadron (14 STUS)
- 14th Mission Support Group (14 MSG)
- 14th Civil Engineering Squadron (14 CES)
- 14th Communications Squadron (14 CS)
- 14th Contracting Squadron (14 CONS)
- 14th Logistics Readiness Squadron (14 LRS)
- 14th Security Forces Squadron (14 SFS)
- 14th Mission Support Squadron (14 MSS)
- 14th Medical Group (14 MDG)
Additionally, the 14th Comptroller Squadron (14 CPTS) reports directly to the 14 TFW.
Land Mobile Radio (LMR)
All land mobile radio communications uses site 1-13 of this system.
Little information about this site is available. PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!!!
|013 (D)||Columbus Air Force Base||406.362500||406.562500||406.762500||406.962500a||407.962500a||408.762500a||410.362500c|
|Common Frequencies/Local Channels (as of September, 2013)|
|05||279.550||West MOA Control||128.500||AM|
|06||275.400||West MOA Monitor||134.400||AM|
|07||239.250||North MOA Control||126.075||AM|
|08||282.200||North MOA Monitor||AM|
|09||273.550||Pickwick MOA Control||135.900||AM|
|10||343.625||Pickwick MOA Monitor||136.175||AM|
|11||294.700||High Shuttle Control||134.775||AM|
|17||320.400||ECHO MOA Monitor||120.800||AM|