Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) (IL)
From The RadioReference Wiki
- 1 Road Condition Codes
- 2 Starcom21
- 3 District 8
- 4 Related Links
Road Condition Codes
- Code 1: All Clear – Pavement is clear of ice and snow.
- Code 2: Scattered – Scattered slick spots on pavements and bridge decks, or wet freezing pavements.
- Code 3: 75% Bare – Pavement clear except for a narrow strip on the edge.
- Code 4: 50% Bare – When a strip of ice or packed snow, some 4’ wide, remains in the center of the pavement with a 2’ to 3’ strip along each edge.
- Code 5: 25% Bare – When there is a narrow strip of bare pavement from 6” to 2’ in each lane where the tires travel.
- Code 6: Snow Covered – When the pavement on a route or portion of the District is covered with ice or packed snow.
District 1 - Schaumburg (Chicagoland Area)
- Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will Counties
District 1 Radio call signs and their associated yards
- CONTROL - Dispatchers at the District 1 HQ in Schaumburg
- 190 to 209 Landscape (L)
- 210 to 239 Gurnee (GU)
- 240 to 269 Grayslake and Lake Zurich satellite yard (G)
- 270 to 299 Woodstock (W)
- 300 to 329 Northbrook (NB)
- 330 to 359 Edens Expressway (E)
- 360 to 389 Kennedy Expressway (K)
- 390 to 419 Arlington Heights (AH)
- 420 to 449 Bridge inspectors
- 450 to 479 Eisenhower Expressway (IK)
- 480 to 499 Naperville (NA)
- 500 to 529 Oak Brook (OB)
- 530 to 559 St. Charles (SC)
- 560 to 589 Bridge (B)
- 590 to 619 Northside (NS)
- 620 to 649 Hillside (H)
- 650 to 679 Dan Ryan Expressway (D)
- 680 to 709 Stevenson Expressway (S)
- 710 to 739 Alsip (A)
- 740 to 769 I-57 (M)
- 770 to 799 Bishop Ford Expressway (BF)
- 800 to 829 Harvey (HY)
- 830 to 849 Joliet (J)
- 850 to 869 I-55 and Birds Bridge satellite yard (F)
- 870 to 899 New Lenox and Monee satellite yard (NL)
- 900 to 969 Emergency Traffic Patrols (ETP)
- 1420 to 1487 Sign shops (Northside, Elgin, Southside/Markham, New Lenox)
- 1500 to 1535 Rodenberg (R)
Yards have additional call signs and RID's not listed above, typically for portables and additional equipment. Some of those can be found on the Starcom21 wiki. Trucks have their radio ID's mounted on top, with the yard code before the radio ID. For example GU226 is from Gurnee.
"Minimal coverage" = quarter group AKA four trucks per yard.
"Night coverage" = two plows + lead worker per yard.
"All clear" = roads are dry, and all trucks are to return to yards.
Several dispatch talkgroups are patched together during snow events. These are where icing complaints, accidents, and pavement codes are aired.
Mobile to mobile talkgroups are not patched and are for individual yards to talk amongst themselves.
District 2 - Dixon
- Bureau, Carroll, Lee, Ogle, Rock Island, Henry and Whiteside Counties
- WQQI740 - Ohio (BUREAU) for Bases on 47.14, 47.34, 47.38 Base/Mobile
- WQQI738 - Compton (LEE) for Bases on 47.14, 47.34, 47.38 Base/Mobile
- Amboy, Belvidere, Compton, Creston, Davis Junction, Dixon, Eleroy, Forreston, Galena, Galva, Geneso, Lyndon, Lynn Center, Milan, Milan Storage, Morrison, Mt. Carroll, Oregon, Osco Storage, Rock Falls, Rockford, Roscoe, Silvis, Stockton, Sycamore, Waterman storage, Forreston storage.
District 3 - Ottawa
- Bureau, Dekalb, Ford, Grundy, Iroquois, Kankakee, Kendall, LaSalle, Livingston Counties
- Kankakee, Watseka, Wenona, Ashkum, Pontiac, Pontiac Traffic, Gibson City, Bloomington, Ottawa, LaSalle, Princeton, Ladd, Morris, Yorkville, Buckley, Gardner, Towanda, Reading storage, Langley storage, Dwight storage.
District 4 - Peoria
- Fulton, Henderson, Knox, McDonough, Marshall, Mercer, Peoria, Putnam, Stark, Tazewell, Warren, Woodford Counties
- WQQI745 - Wenona (Marshall) for Bases on 47.02, 47.1, 47.14, 47.38 Base/Mobile
- WQQI741 - Monmouth (WARREN) for 47.06, 47.18, 47.3, 47.38 Base/Mobile
- WQQI461 - Farmington (FULTON) for 47.06, 47.18, 47.3, 47.38 Base/Mobile
- Aledo, Biggsville, Brimfield, Monmouth, Edwards, Morton, Hopedale, Knoxville, Wyoming, Lewiston, Macomb, East Peoria, El Paso, Wenona, West Peoria, Sparland storage, Farmington storage.
District 5 - Paris
- Champaign, DeWitt, Douglas, Edgar, McLean, Piatt, Vermilion Counties
- Monticello, Clinton, Bloomington, Towanda, LeRoy, Paris, Tuscola, Danville, Champaign, Leverett, Farmer City storage, Mansfield storage.
District 6 - Springfield
- Adams, Brown, Cass, Christian, Hancock, Logan, Macoupin, Mason, Menard, Montgomery, Morgan, Pike, Sangamon, Schuyler, Scott Counties
- Barry, Carlinville, Carthage, Jacksonville, Lincoln, Litchfield, Mason City, Mt. Sterling, Petersburg, Pittsfield, Quincy, Riggston Satellite, Riverton, Rushville, Springfield West, Taylorville, Virginia, Divernon storage, Havana storage
- Bodine Electric of Springfield does traffic light maintenance in the area.
District 7 - Effingham
- Clark, Clay, Coles, Crawford, Cumberland, Edwards, Effingham, Fayette, Jasper, Lawrence, Macon, Moultrie, Richland, Shelby, Wabash, Wayne Counties
- Sullivan, Decatur, Vandalia, Effingham, Shelbyville, Mattoon, Charleston satellite, Lawrenceville, Newton, Robinson, Flora, Olney satellite, Marshall, Greenup, Fairfield, Browns Satellite.
District 8 - Fairview Heights
- Bond, Calhoun, Clinton, Greene, Jersey, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Randolph, St. Clair, Washington Counties
- Base heard calling EPV-53 on 47.02 110.9 PL
- Belleville, Tunnel storage, Hecker, Steeleville, Greenville, Carlyle, Nashville, Hamel, Salem, Wood River, Troy, Jerseyville, Carrollton, Bowman Shed, Columbia, Highland, Scott Dome, Mitchell Satellite, Godfrey storage, Pierron storage, Fairview Heights, Brussels Ferry, Kampsville Ferry.
District 9 - Carbondale
- Alexander, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Massac, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Saline, Union, White, Williamson Counties
- Anna, Belgrade Satellite, Pinckneyville, Murphysboro, West City, Marion, Harrisburg, Elizabethtown, Shawneetown Satellite, Vienna, Cairo Satellite, Dongola, Mt. Veron, Enfield, Dixon Springs storage.
Statewide - Contractors
- Egizi Electric of Springfield is contracted to install/maintain most Traffic Signals in the District 6 & District 8 areas (know to work in Springfield, Carlinville, Litchfield, Glen Carbon)
Statewide Portable Frequencies - Unidentified uses and tones
- WNZU567 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Saline County
- WNZU571 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Jackson County
- WPFU937 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 16kmra Massac County
- WPFU938 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 16kmra Livingston County
- WNUE273 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Franklin County
- WNUE262 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Williamson County
- KD39304 453.4625, 458.4625 (11/16K Digital) at 40kmra Sangamon County
- KJK803 Statewide Temporary Fixed Bases on:
- 47.0200, 47.0600, 47.1000, 47.1400, 47.1800, 47.2800, 47.3000, 47.3600, 47.3800 (20K)
- 150.9950, 151.0400, 151.0700, 151.1300, 156.0450, 156.0600, 156.1200, 156.1350, 159.1800, 159.1950
47.0200 KJK803 B IDOT/CMS 1 Statewide Moveable Bases 453.3625 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 2 Statewide Portables WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 3 Statewide Portables FM Public Works 453.5125 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 4 Statewide Portables 453.5375 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 5 Statewide Portables 453.6875 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 6 Statewide Portables 453.7125 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 7 Statewide Portables 453.7625 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 8 Statewide Portables 453.8875 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 9 Statewide Portables 453.9125 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 10 Statewide Portables 458.3625 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 11 Statewide Portables 458.4625 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 12 Statewide Portables 458.5125 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 13 Statewide Portables 458.5375 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 14 Statewide Portables 458.6875 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 15 Statewide Portables 458.7125 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 16 Statewide Portables 458.7625 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 17 Statewide Portables 458.8875 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 18 Statewide Portables 458.9125 WPGA913 M IDOT/CMS 19 Statewide Portables 155.0550 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 20 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 155.9250 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 21 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 453.0250 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 22 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 453.3000 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 23 IDOT/CMS: Statewide (N of I-70) 453.3500 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 24 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 453.6000 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 25 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 453.6500 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 26 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 453.8000 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 27 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 453.8750 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 28 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 453.9000 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 29 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 458.3000 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 30 IDOT/CMS: Statewide (N of I-70) 458.3500 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 31 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 458.6000 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 32 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 458.6500 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 33 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 458.8000 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 34 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 458.8750 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 35 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 458.9000 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 36 IDOT/CMS: Statewide 458.9000 KR5616 M IDOT/CMS 37 IDOT/CMS: Statewide
Most districts in the state are using Starcom21 for their radio communications. Below is a map which shows the talkgroups used at the local IDOT yards throughout the state.
A closeup map of the Chicago Area yards:
10/13 - McHenry Co. Primary, 453.4875, has been replaced by 453.6375 in a modification to callsign WQPX735. Please submit if this has been confirmed as in use.
[8/13 - need update] F1 (150.995) and F8 (453.4) are simulcast. Other channels can be patched as needed.
There is a shorthand way of referring to the expressways so that NW @ Harlem is understood as outbound JFK @ Harlem. NW & SE = JFK E & W = IKE NE & SW = I 55 N & S = Dan Ryan & Eedens and I 57 & Ford
IDOT Emergency Patrol Vehicle's carry both UHF and SC21 radios. UHF frequencies are primary and SC21 is used as fallback. (as of 8/13) Conventional P25 Radio IDs (RIDs)
- 743, 744, 755, 772 on 453.1875 (6/23/15)
- 369004 - dispatcher on 453.1875 (6/23/15)
- 369007 - Communications Consoles Emergency Traffic Patrol (Dispatcher)
- 369008 - Communications Consoles Emergency Traffic Patrol (Dispatcher)
IDOT D1 PORTABLE ZONE A LAYOUT
CH 1 McHenry PRI CH 2 McHenry M2M CH 3 McHenry SEC CH 4 NORTH E. PRI CH 5 NORTH E. M2M CH 6 NORTH E. SEC CH 7 KANE PRI CH 8 KANE M2M CH 9 KANE SEC CH 10 CENTRAL PRI CH 11 CENTRAL M2M CH 12 CENTRAL SEC CH 13 DOT D1 DET A CH 14 DOT D1 DET B CH 15 STATE WIDE CH 16 DOT D1 WIDE
IDOT D1 PORTABLE ZONE B LAYOUT
CH 1 SOUTH PRI CH 2 SOUTH M2M CH 3 SOUTH SEC CH 4 EXPYWAY PRI CH 5 EXPYWAY M2M CH 6 EXPYWAY SEC CH 7 ETP PRI CH 8 ETP M2M CH 9 ETP SEC CH 10 ADMIN PRI CH 11 ADMIN M2M CH 12 ADMIN SEC CH 13 DOT D1 DET A CH 14 DOT D1 DET B CH 15 STATE WIDE CH 16 DOT D1 WIDE
EPV Highway Codes
A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I-55? (ESTL area?)
- Illinois Rest Areas map
- IDOT District Map
- Weigh Station maps
- Rich Carlson's Illinois Highways Page - Description & History of Roads in IL by N9JIG