Web Service Programming Help
From The RadioReference Wiki
Information on programming your scanner using the RadioReference.com Web Service
The RadioReference.com Web service provides users the ability to download scanner frequency and trunked radio system information directly from the database to their scanners. The Web service works by providing scanner programming software applications direct access to the database through a set of common, documented communications standards. The graphic below shows the information flow between different components.
To download frequency and trunked information into your scanner, you need to follow these three steps:
- STEP-1 - Become a RadioReference.com Premium Subscriber
- Users who have a RadioReference.com Account with active premium subscriber status automatically have access to the Web service. To view the complete details on your premium subscription status and to upgrade your account, see the Premium Subscription Information Page. Subscribing is easy and instantaneous by credit card.
- STEP-2 - Download and Install a Supported Scanner Programming Software Application
- A scanner programming software application is required to access the Web service and download information directly to your scanner. These applications function as the bridge between the RadioReference Database and your individual scanner or radio.
- Scanner programming software applications are written by numerous third-party organizations and individuals, and many of them directly support the RadioReference.com Web service download feature.
- To see the complete list of scanner programming software applications that support the Web service, see the Supported Scanner Software Packages.
- NOTE: it is important that you determine whether or not your individual scanner or radio is supported by a Web service capable programming application. Not all scanners are supported by application developers. See the above supported programs link for details.
- STEP-3 - Follow the individual software application instructions
- Each individual software application will prompt you to enter your RadioReference.com Premium Account Username and Password before being able to access the Web service directly and program your scanner. Please reference the instructions for each application on how to access the Web service.
Problems Connecting to the Web Service
If you are having problems connecting to the Web service from a supported software application, please follow these suggestions:
- Make absolutely, positively sure that you are running the latest version of the supported software package. This is the number one reason why someone cannot connect to the Web service -- that being an outdated version of the software package.
- You can download the latest version of your supported software package from the vendor's Web site where you originally purchased or downloaded the software.
- This thread is useful for links and information related to software updates. Web Service Software Upgrades
- Check your firewall and security software settings and make sure you are not blocking your software application from connecting to the Internet.