From The RadioReference Wiki
The PSR-500 is manufactured by GRE in China. The PSR-500 is very similar to the Mobile/Base version of the PSR-600 and uses the same radio control software and scanner cables and is nearly identical to the Radio Shack Pro-106
- 1 General Specifications
- 2 Operating Tips
- 3 Included Accessories
- 4 Recommended accessories (Not included with the radio)
- 5 GRE America Support
- 6 Discriminator Tap
- 7 Owners Manual
- 8 FCC Type Acceptance
- 9 Control and Monitoring Software
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Related Pages
- 12 Yahoo Groups and Mailing Lists (receiver support)
- 13 eBay Listings
|Frequency (MHz)||Step Size Value|
- Object oriented memory management. See the Object Oriented Scanning Described article for more information.
- Built in discriminator data output in simple ASCII output using the PC/IF port
- Full duplex support and USB connection using the GRE 30-3290 (RS #20-047) USB Scanner Data Manager Cable.
- Object programmable LED; eight factory default colors to any color / brilliance you want by having direct access to the R-G-B drive values (including flash) to assign to talkgroups, frequencies, agencies, etc.
- LATCH option; the color of the last received object stays on until reset.
- Motorola Smartzone systems
- Scanner option to look for the site with the best received CC decode rate.
(Not the same as RSSI on the Motorola rigs, but similar in operation.)
- Favorites Scan List; create a scan list tailored to your favorite object settings.
One button operation to get to this set.
- Spectrum Sweeper Near field frequency capture
- Triple conversion
- Virtual Scanner Memory Management system; One copy of working memory can hold up to 1800 objects, meaning any combination of talkgroups, conventional channels, and trunking systems. Each V-Scanner folder holds one copy of working memory. So, 21 * 1800 = about 37,800 objects altogether can be stored in the V-Scanner storage system.
- Preprogrammed for most major metropolitan areas
- Scan rate 60 CPS
- Search speed 90 CPS
- User defined service search and limit search
- Direct Tune mode
- TCXO for frequency stability
- Default Option keys; return to default setting for any menu
- Digital AGC
- Adaptive digital tracking (ADT)
- Digital signal processing (DSP)
- CTCSS/DCS abilities
- Network Access Code can be programmed to only break squelch when receiving the correct NAC in a conventional P25 system.
- 16-character alpha-tagging with text entry can show ID code or service name
- L/O talkgroup ID or frequency
- ID delay
- UNSQUELCH Delay; Delay settings before the radio unmutes audio to speaker
- Motorola Control Channel Only trunking
- I-Calls, possibly displayed as hex as mentioned at Dayton Hamvention 07'
- 700MHz and 380MHz Trunk Scanning
- Easy-to-read back lit control and display with back lit keypad
- 6 search ranges/ 1 user definable search range
- Search "seek" feature
- Tunes virtually all important bands—local marine, fire/police, Ham, CB, VHF-air, UHF-Air, racing, weather and more
- Weather band with enhanced SAME Weather Alert functions and weather priority—access weather channels and alerts with the push of a button
- Skywarn can be programmed with any number of "objects"
- "Multiple" Priority channels
- Zeromatic search tuning
- 20 dB attenuator
- Computer interface and Programming (with computer control)
- 3 function keys; softkeys, that when pressed, execute the function that is shown just above the key in the display
- 5 way navigation keys to access special modes and programming options
- 4 line x 16 character display with relative signal strength meter
- Display of the Radio ID of the transmitting user
- BNC connector
- A cloning cable may be fabricated using 2 - 1/8 inch stereo jacks and shielded cable.
RR System Compatibility
This scanner is compatible with the following Trunking System Types and System Voices used in the RadioReference Database, of course you must verify that the scanner will cover the appropriate frequency range:
- System Types:
- Motorola Type I
- Motorola Type II
- Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
- Motorola Type II Smartnet
- Motorola Type II Smartzone
- Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
- EDACS Standard (Wide)
- EDACS Standard Networked
- EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
- EDACS Narrowband Networked
- EDACS SCAT
- LTR Standard
- Project 25 Standard
- System Voices:
- Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
- APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
See the Object Oriented Scanning tips article for more information
- Quick Guide for V-Scanner Pre-loads
- PDF - Owners manual
- Black non-rechargeable battery holder
- Yellow rechargable battery holder
- AC adapter
- Belt clip
- GRE USB PC interface cable
- CD-ROM (including the owners manual and GRE radio control demo software)
Recommended accessories (Not included with the radio)
- RS #273-1863 9-Volt Vehicle DC-to-DC Adapter
- RS #273-1706 Adaptaplug C - Needed for the above adapter
- RS #20-283 Radio Shack 800MHz handheld antenna
- Replacement Belt clip - Radio Shack RSU part number 12418273. Cost is $3.49 each plus shipping. See your local Radio Shack store to order.
GRE America Support
- There is also a built in data dump which can be enabled with "CCDump" in the Func-Global "super expert" menu which may meet many users needs when used with 3rd party software which already supports this data. When CCDump = "Yes" most control channel and weather SAME data is dumped to the PC/IF port for use with the USB cable. This may save soldering and warranty issues for most users.
FCC Type Acceptance
Control and Monitoring Software
See the Object Oriented Scanner Software article for more information
- August 2007, Popular Communications Magazine,
Tech Showcase - The GRE PSR-500 Advanced Digital Scanner by Rich Wells, N2MCA
- November 2007, Monitoring Times Magazine,
GRE Raises the Bar Again! MT First Look at GRE PSR-500, by Larry Van Horn, N5FPW
- December 2007, Popular Communications Magazine,
Programming The GRE PSR-500 Advanced Digital Scanner by Rich Wells, N2MCA
- March 2008, Scanning USA Magazine,
First Look The GRE PSR-500 Digital Trunking Scanner, by Steve Donnell
- Review by "Sixtytwo" in the GRE Scanners forum on RadioReference
- RadioReference Links
- Compare the PSR-500 to other digital models
Yahoo Groups and Mailing Lists (receiver support)
Return to the GRE Radios page