BCD436HP and BCD536HP Page 2
From The RadioReference Wiki
Scanner FAQ and Information Page 2
Questions regarding software, firmware or other web resources for these 2 radios can be found on Page 1 of this document.
Installation and Registration
- What should I do when I first get my scanner?
- For the 436, see the instructions on the Uniden Official BCD436HP TWiki Page
- Or if you got the 536, follow the instructions on the Uniden Official BCD536HP TWiki Page. Be sure to update the firmware in the radio along with the firmware in the WiFi Dongle. See the answer below for the WiFi updates.
- Where do I go to register my new scanner(s)?
- Go to my.uniden.com
- During installation of Sentinel, how do I fix this error? "Unhandled Exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately."
- Before you do the final step, do this:
- Right-Click on the firmware updater program
- Click Properties
- Click the Compatibility tab
- Check the box to enable "Run in compatibility mode"
- Check the box to enable "Run as Administrator"
- Click "Apply"
- Then do last step.
- Thread on unhandled exceptions
- Do you have the correct Microsoft .net framework installed?
- Where can I download "Wi-Fi-Updater.zip"?
- Download the file from here
- Run these updates as Administrator to ensure full hardware access.
- Thread on wifi issues
- Can the power cord from BCD996XT be used with this scanner?
- Yes, in-theory any Power cord from 10.5vDC at 1500ma/1.5amp to 16v at 500ma/.5a with 5.5mm o.d-2.1mm i.d can be used, double check polarity.
- My new BCD436HP/BCD536HP is constantly asking me to set the time and date...what gives?
- From Uniden's UPMan:
Keep the Time! Plug in your scanner and turn it on. The first things you'll see are prompts to set the date and time. The scanner has a real-time clock with backup power that will run the clock for about 1 week. The backup power needs to charge for about 50 hours before full backup-time becomes available. If the backup source is depleted before power is restored, you will be prompted to set the time again upon power up.
- Upgrade the Firmware to a newer one if prior to 1.09.02.
- There has been a Repair campaign start for scanner owner's whos scanners are not keeping the correct date and time moments after supplied power is removed and the scanner has been kept on recently for the recommend 50hrs. For other Users in general, users should not expect their scanners to keep the date and time for weeks and months unpowered. Visit Uniden's Repair Campaign website or See our Thread for FAQ's asked by members.
- I am a little confused... What's the difference between Quick Keys and Number Tags?
- See the Uniden BCDx36HP Quick Keys and Number Tags article in our wiki
- How do I use Favorites Lists and Quick Keys?
- See this writeup by Jay911
- OR see these, halfway down, on their respective pages: Favorites, Systems, Departments or Multi-Site Trunking
- A Favorite does have to be Downloaded, Monitored, and Enabled, then the System has to be Enabled, then as well the corresponding Department - Group of TGID(s) and Site(s)
- Are Favorites Lists automatically updated when the database is?
- No. It is prudent to keep an eye on the Favorites Lists you plan to use regularly and compare them to the latest database. Checkout this third party websites helpful tool BCDx36HP Sentinel Favorites Lists Tool Print Options available for Favorites, Systems, and/or Departments. Additional Premium RadioReference (RR) Member may set their RR account to notify them of "marked" Systems changes.
- How do I Manually add a P25 Frequency to any list?
- Where can I learn about programming a DMR system once I have applied the upgrade?
- This topic is discussed in the Uniden TWiki here
- See this Thread for a discussion on this question
- See the Fun with DMR Programming A Single Channel DMR System Thread
- See the DMR Help Thread
- If you have further questions, view previous discussions or post them on the Uniden Tech Support forum
- Can I import DMR data from the FCC database?
- You can using either ARC536 or Sentinel; see the Digital Frequency Search website
Problems and Issues
- VHF-Hi and/or UHF Reception is noisy; the scanner seems less sensitive on this band when compared to other radios
- I get a lot of noise decoding a DMR (digital) UHF signal
- See this Thread for a full discussion of this topic
- My BCD436HP seems to have "gone deaf"
In list of likelyhood:
- Actual "Site" has switched to a different Control Channel
- DQK is not Enable/On, as well as Systems QKs or Favorites QKs aren't Enabled.
- Site is "Avoid"ed, and/or a frequency is Avoided (possible with older version of software)
- This is a situation where your unit has been operating without any issues, the user has made no changes to lists, the unit has not been moved, and the departments have not gone encrypted. In other words, everything looks fine but the unit just does not receive anything anymore. You will say, "It was working yesterday but today I'm not receiving anything." If you cannot even receive NOAA broadcasts, your unit has "gone deaf" and will need to be repaired. This is a repair covered under the Uniden one-year from purchase warranty and involves replacing the Q2 and Q3 circuits. When you ship the unit, describe the problem as "No channel reception."
- Site is Down
- The audio from my simulcast digital system is lousy / distorted. What is wrong?
- See the Simulcast digital distortion article for a full explanation
- Also see the Loose Open Squelch Improves Simulcast Reception Thread
- See the P25 audio decode level adjustment article for adjustment procedures
- Upgrade to firmware 1.11.31 even if you don't need ProVoice or DMR, some algorithms have been re-written with fixes
- I'm having trouble receiving P16 or P25 systems. Is there a fix?
- See the UPMan's suggestion for P25 reception Thread
- See the P25 audio decode level adjustment article for adjustment procedures, believe it or not, before Audio can be decoded the CC has to be, so adjustment of decode will effect both reception ability and decode ability.
- See the Simulcast digital distortion article for a full explanation
- Check Band Plan setting is set to Custom for Motorola Type I or Type II where it's 800 MHz, or VHF or UHF, proper plan should allow reception
- Check to see System Hold Time is greater than 2 and "Digital Threshold Mode" is set to "Manual", for LSM Phase I or Phase II systems.
- If I am having headphones-issues, what can I do?
- See the UPMan's answer on headphones issues Thread
- If using noise-canceling headphones, don't, the audio output circuits were made for 32ohm headphones.
- Why is Simplex reception not perfect?
- Scanner is has only a single receiver, not the 2 required for proper decode and reception.
- You may have overloaded the scanner with your Transceiver - transmitting close by.
- Try FM instead of NFM with Manual Digital Threshold Manual of between 1-5 available in ProScan and ARC.
- Why won't my scanner receive DMR on Slot 1 and or Slot 2
- Try reversing Slot numbers compared to System's Slot numbering.
- On DMR I can't see the Flavor Type, Color Code or Slot
- Display Mode 1 - will show the flavor (CON, CAP, XPT, etc).
- Display Mode 2 - will show the Color Code.
- Display Mode 3 - will show the slot.
- My Unit Id's UID are not displayed correctly, even when replayed?
- During a constant transmission, the scanner does not attempt to decode the UID multiple times, so-there-for until transmissions breaks, the scanner will not re-attempt to decode another units identification number, as well as it's not decoding digital data on the Control channel while it's on a voice channel, like your SDR or Commercial Radio can.
- (BCD536HP) Can I access the discriminator?
- Rich Carlson detailed how to tap the discriminator in this forum thread: Discriminator Tap Mod Thread
- (BCD536HP) How do I replace the Backlight LEDs?
- Discussion (include pictures): Got tired of the dim pale blue BCD536HP display Thread
- (BCD436HP) How do mod the background color of the screen
- Discussion (include pictures):436HP Mult-Color Screens Thread