From The RadioReference Wiki
The BCD436HP is the first scanner to incorporate the HomePatrol ease of use in a traditional handheld scanner. Simply enter your zip code, and the BCD436HP will quickly select and scan channels in your local area. It's direct sibling is the mobile/desktop BCD536HP which includes a Wi-Fi Dongle, both utilize the same Sentinel (Uniden software), and can be used interchangeably for both of the BCDx36HP Series on one PC. This is a TrunkTracker V scanner. It includes APCO's newest P25 Phase II, Motorola, EDACS, LTR Trunked Systems. Exclusive EDACS ProVoice, DMR/MOTOTRBO and NXDN can be trunked and monitored via paid upgrade
- 1 Uniden Official Pages
- 2 Specifications
- 3 Features
- 4 RR System Compatibility
- 5 Included in the Box
- 6 Main issues
- 7 Images
- 8 Videos
- 9 Related Pages
Uniden Official Pages
- Complete Front Keypad Programming ability - create custom Favorites Lists either using systems from the HPDB as a starting point by Adding Channel or program your Favorites from scratch.
- Easy navigation to Favorite List, 1st on Menu w visual On/Off for FQK listing
- Easy navigation to System List 1st on Menu w visual On/Off for SQK listing.
- Easy Scan Control using the dedicated System, Department and Channel Hold buttons.
- Flexible Easy System or Channel Selection using Zip Code or GPS and Service Types - just pick the kinds of channels you want to hear and tell the BCD436HP where you are and let it do the rest.
- Flexible Scanning - scan from any combination of the main database and Favorites Lists.
- Backlit Display and Keypad.
- Backlight-on-Squelch option allows the backlight to remain on during an entire transmission.
- 192hx 160w-Pixel Dot-Matrix Display w convex display lens
- Receive Signal Strength Indicator displayed.
- Rugged construction with Rubber Side and Bottom Impact areas to improve impact resistance.
- Serial GPS input for Location Based Scanning using the Uniden BC-GPSK or other compatible GPS receiver. See the GPS Units and Connections article.
- Select/Volume/Squelch multi-control top knob.
- Side-actuated Function and Menu controls.
- 64 character text tagging for each system, site, department, channel, talkgroup, search range, Tone-Out, and SAME group.
- USB PC Connectivity (USB Mini-B)
- Visual Independent Alert LED ring, Left-knob, w/ 7 colors and 3 patterns.
- 4GB microSD card holds the entire US and Canada database of radio systems, plus leaves room for hundreds of hours of audio recording.
Included on the Micro SD Card
- A copy of the RadioReference Database (HPDB)
- Uniden's Sentinel Software. which can also be found here
- Pre-Formatted with FAT 32 Filing System
- Main Folder named "BCDx36HP"
- Below BCDx36HP folder contains:
- (7)Sub-Folders: activity_log, alert, audio, discovery, favorite_list, firmware, HPDB
- (4)Loose Files:
- Configuration files: app_data.cfg, discovery.cfg1, profile.cfg
- Set-Up file: scanner.inf
- Main Folder named "BCDx36HP"
- 100 Favorites Lists QKs
- 100 Department QKs (Groups in previous DMA)
- 3 Quick Access Search Keys
- 100 System QKs
- Included Sentinel Software makes database and firmware updates simple. Also allows you to create, edit, and manage your Favorites Lists.
- 25-512 MHz
- 758-824 MHz
- 849-869 MHz
- 894-960 MHz
- 1240-1300 MHz
Modulation & Steps
- AM, NFM, FM, WFM, or FMB.
- 5, 6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5, 15, 20, 25, 50, or 100 kHz
- 3 AA batteries (3.05v DC or higher) or use of USB 5V DC ≥300mA. Battery Operation provides 6-14 hours of operation.
- Built-in Battery Charger - charge the batteries in the scanner w a USB power cable (w/ the caveat the scanner is off).
- Adjustable Band defaults Modulation and Steps
- Adjustable Priority check interval and quantity.
- Analog and Digital AGC independently per System
- Analysis Modes include Trunked System Analysis of Signal, Quality and Activity, and EDACS/LTR LCN Finder.
- Battery Saver
- Broadcast Screen while searching (TV and radio station frequencies, pagers, etc) with 10 custom bands.
- Channel delay adjustable to increments of 0-2,5,10,30
- Channel Volume Offset individually per channel.
- Close Call, with Close Call Do Not Disturb, Close Call Priority (or Primary), and Close Call Temporary Store.
- Control Channel Only
- Conventional Channel Priority with Priority Do-Not-Disturb
- Custom Search - lets you program up to 10 search ranges.
- Discovery Mode help you find new channels on trunked systems and frequency ranges.
- Fire Tone Out alert with two-tone paging with up to 32 tone slots.
- Fire Tone Out Search - built-in frequency counter displays the received tones.
- Independent Audible Alert Tone Volume – lets you set the volume level of the following tones: Key Beep, Emergency Alerts, Channel Alerts, Tone-Out hits, and Close Call Alert.
- Individual Site P25 decode Threshold, Settings: Auto, Manual, Default
- Intermediate Frequency Exchange - changes the IF used for a selected frequency to help avoid image and other mixer-product interference on a frequency.
- Key Lock prevents anything being changed but Volume and ON\OFF - lets you hand the scanner to a novice user.
- Location Based Scanning
- Multi-Site Trunking - Lets you program the scanner to share a Trunked System's TGIDs across multiple Sites without having to duplicate TGIDs
- Negative Channel dropout delay (forced resume) adjustable to -2, -5, -10 seconds.
- Number Tags allows you to quickly navigate to a specific Favorites List, System, and/or Channel.
- Priority Scan
- P25 audio decode level adjustment
- P25 One-Frequency Trunking - The scanner can follow individual talk groups on P25 single-frequency systems that use both NAC and TGID’s for squelch control and user identification.
- Quick Search
- Range Control
- Recording of Audio- Captures & Stores individual transmissions until squelch closes for later playback with time stamping and some metadata via Scanner or PC.
- Date/Time indication on display with time stamping for recordings.
- Instant Replay - Plays back up to 240 seconds of the most recent unsquelched transmissions without the added quite time between those transmissions
- Repeater Reverse
- Search with Scan for Custom Searches.
- Startup Configuration
- Unit ID display capable
- Weather Operations
RR System Compatibility
- Analog Conventional Frequencies
- Motorola Type I
- Motorola Type II
- LTR Standard
- APCO Project 25 Standard
- Phase I FDMA
- Motorola X2-TDMA
- Phase II TDMA
- DMR 2
- NXDN types: 3</sup?>
- ProVoice 1
- APCO-25 Common Air Interface Common Air Interface
- DMR 2
- NXDN 3
Note: These are all paid upgrades via my.uniden.com. Firmware version refers to the first version that enables the indicated mode. Firmware updates are performed via MicroSD card or through USB port
- Firmware 1.10.02 (or better)
- Firmware 1.11.15 (or better)
- Firmware 1.14.00 (or better)
- The NXDN upgrade is discussed in the NXDN Now Available for the 436, 536 Thread
Included in the Box
- BCD436HP Scanner Radio1
- SMA Semi-Ridged Antenna2 Uniden # BATG0469001
- SMA- BNC adapter
- 411.com Registration card
- USB to USB Mini-B programming cable
- Rotating Belt Clip.
- Belt clip Plastic Attachment with 1 screw installed
- Battery Department Cover installed
- 3 AA 2300mah Ni-Mh Batteries (plastic sealed together)
- Owner’s manual printed copy w online pdf format available
- External Box
- Formed Cardboard packaging - molded pulp
- Various plastic bags for listed components
- microSD Card (4 GB) or (8GB) installed
1 Uniden Started a Repair Program because some units have a problem with RTC battery and/or dimming display LED - time need to be adjusted again and again. Uniden launched repair campaign. To tell the difference determine what color tone the LED is Yellowish (older) Blueish (newer). As of September 30, 2020, the repair campaign has ended. *For more info Click Here
2 Some Users reported: poor sensitivity on VHF and UHF. Uniden did not officially confirmed the problem, but proofs in that Uniden made 3 revisions of the daughter board, so the newest are not affected. This causes problems with receiving relatively weak signals VHF and UHF. *Forum Discussion: BCD436HP: UHF Reception Issues due to Noise from Battery Compartment and the middle battery Thread with newer versions a capacitor was installed to suppress the injection of noise on both the VHF and UHF band, or simply by adding a few layers of EMI copper tape to battery compartment door. (Example without Fix  (without specifics or details and comments are Disabled)
- Search Youtube for additional examples
- First Power On
- Phase I Simulcast Test
- Edit of Intro Video showing only the radios
- LSM and Phase 2 TDMA in action
- Excellent audio quality of P25 Cleveland Police
Frequently Asked Questions and Related Pages
- BCD436HP and BCD536HP Scanner FAQ
- BCD436HP and BCD536HP Page 2
- Third Party Accessories and Battery Tips for the 436, 536 and SDS Scanners
Message Boards / Forums
- Uniden BCD436HP / BCD536HP / SDS200 / SDS100 Scanner Owner's Group
- Radio Scanner World
- Radio Scanners
- Scanner Enthusiasts
- Radio Scanner Help and Chat
- Uniden Scanners
- Uniden Bearcat Scanners
- Uniden Bearcat Scanner Fan Club
- Uniden Bearcat Scanner Owners UK
- Message Board
Return to Uniden Scanners