From The RadioReference Wiki
The NXDN (Next Generation Digital Narrowband) common air interface protocol, which was developed jointly by ICOM and Kenwood, uses Frequency Division Multiple Access (FDMA), employing a 4-level FSK modulation scheme. These companies and others together form the NXDN Forum.
Who are the Users?
- Click on the NDXN category at the bottom of this page, and select the various regions to see if there are listings in this wiki. More information might be found in the trunking tab of your state in the RR Database.
- You can use the Digital Frequency NXDN Search webtool to search by county for frequencies authorized to use NXDN (information extracted from the FCC database)
- The Digital Frequency Quick Import webtool can also be used to import frequencies into several modern scanners.
Can it be Decoded?
Apart from using an actual Kenwood or Icom radio, the following methods are possible;
- The Uniden BCD436HP and BCD536HP can handle this mode with a paid upgrade. The announcement can be found here
- The upgrade is discussed in the NXDN Now Available for the 436, 536 Thread
- The Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 can handle this mode with a paid upgrade.
- The Uniden BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 support this via a paid upgrade (version 1.08.00)
- See the NXDN comes to BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 Thread for a discussion on this topic
- The Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 can be programmed to monitor both conventional and trunked NXDN systems. However, because these scanners do not monitor the NXDN control channel, trunking may not function optimally on all systems. See the following threads for more information;
- Use either Digital Speech Decoder (software package) or DSDPlus software, along with a scanner which, in many cases, will require a Discriminator Tap.
- You can also use a SDR with these applications without the need for modifications.
- Radios with no trunking support
- AOR DV1 Note: 6.25 khz NXDN4800 only
- AOR DV10
- Icom IC-R30 Note: Can decode encrypted audio if the key is known
- Icom IC-R8600 Note: Can decode encrypted audio if the key is known
- Radios Not Yet Released (no trunking support expected)
Related Wiki Pages