From The RadioReference Wiki
The NXDN (Next Generation Digital Narrowband) common air interface protocol, which was developed jointly by ICOM and Kenwood, uses Frequency Division Multiple Access (FDMA), employing a 4-level FSK modulation scheme. These companies and others together form the NXDN Forum.
Who are the Users?
- Click on the NXDN category at the bottom of this page, and select the various regions to see if there are listings in this wiki. More information might be found in the trunking tab of your state in the RR Database.
- You can use the Digital Frequency NXDN Search webtool to search by county for frequencies authorized to use NXDN (information extracted from the FCC database)
- The Digital Frequency Quick Import webtool can also be used to import frequencies into several modern scanners.
Can it be Decoded?
Apart from using an actual Kenwood or Icom radio, the following methods are possible:
- The Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 can handle this mode with a paid upgrade.
- The Uniden BCD436HP and BCD536HP can handle this mode with a paid upgrade.
- The Uniden BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 support this via a paid upgrade (version 1.08.00)
- The Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 can be programmed to monitor conventional NXDN systems. However, these scanners cannot trunktrack NXDN systems. Whistler never bought the licenses, which is why the upgrades are free. The best these scanners can do is to decode the audio. This may be sufficient on systems that aren't too busy, but for busier systems, this is a serious limitation. See the following threads for more information:
- See our Trunked Radio Decoders article for several applications that can handle NXDN. Note that some of them are best used with Software Defined Radios
- Radios with no trunking support
- AOR AR5700D
- AOR DV1 Note: 6.25 kHz NXDN4800 only
- AOR DV10
- Icom IC-R30 Note: Can decode encrypted audio if the key is known
- Icom IC-R8600 Note: Can decode encrypted audio if the key is known
Related Wiki Pages
- NXDN-Forum:Technical Specs
- NXDNInfo.com:NXDN and Amateur Radio
- RadioReference Forums
- Uniden Tech Support
- Voice Control Channel Decoding Software
- Whistler Scanners
- Understanding IDAS Trunking Thread
- Understanding NEXEDGE Trunking Thread
- NXDN Calculator v3 Utility Thread
- Scanner School Links