From The RadioReference Wiki
The Whistler TRX-2 is a digital desktop/mobile scanner, direct sibling to the TRX-1 handheld Scanner, capable of numerous Digital Modes used in today's Public Safety arena and many amateur & business use digital transceivers. It was announced in May 2016 and released in late June of the same year. The TRX-2 comes complete with the Radio Reference data base on a micro SD card. Upon receiving the unit, be sure to update it to the latest firmware before scanning. The scanner interfaces only with a proprietary software called EZ SCAN™ for programming. Some users report connection problems with Windows based PCs.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 RR System Compatibility
- 3 Features, Specs, & Details
- 4 Discussions
- 5 Ship Date
- 6 Third Party Applications
- 7 Wiki Articles
- 8 Message Boards/forums
The Whistler TRX-2 is a desktop/mobile digital trunking scanner. The scanner is capable of decoding numerous modes of analog and digital transmissions, to include but not limited to: Motorola P25 Phase I, Phase II, DMR and NXDN, making it capable of monitoring the following multiple channels and/or systems at any given time (does not and will not decode Encrypted channels or Systems).
RR System Compatibility
- System Types
- Motorola Type I
- Motorola Type II
- Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
- Motorola Type II Smartnet
- Motorola Type II SmartZone
- Motorola Type II SmartZone OmniLink
- EDACS Standard (Wide)
- EDACS Standard Networked (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- EDACS Narrowband (Narrow) (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- EDACS Narrowband Networked (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- EDACS SCAT (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- EDACS ESK (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- LTR Standard
- APCO Project 25 Standard
- Project 25 Phase I
- Project 25 X2-TDMA
- Project 25 Phase II
- DMR MOTOTRBO
- Conventional DMR
- Hytera XPT
- MotoTRBO™ Capacity Plus
- MotoTRBO™ Connect Plus
- MotoTRBO™ Linked Cap Plus systems
- NXDN NEXEDGE 1
- NXDN IDAS 1
- System Voices
- Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
- APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive P25 CAI
- NXDN Digital (NXDN Common Air Interface) 1
- Please see the Can It Be Decoded section of the NXDN article for further information
Features, Specs, & Details
These models feature a full back-lit alphanumeric keypad in addition to the easy-to-use Scan, Pause, Select and Navigation controls. All USA/Canada services and frequencies are pre-programmed onto the included SD card making the units ready to use out of the box – they can even be programmed by entering your ZIP code.
- Upgradeable CPU, DSP firmware, and library
- Store Favorite Scanlists
- EZ Scan PC Software
- IF/discriminator output
- Permits recording by scannable object and saves into a Windows compatible audio file
- Clock and calendar function adds date/time info to the recordings
- Dedicated SKYWARN®/Weather button
- Spectrum Sweeper
- Programmable audio and visual alert system
(quoted from Whistler's website)
- Easy to Understand User Interface - A simplified keypad and display with familiar Scan, Pause, Skip and Navigation controls make it easy for you to use your WS1095. Behind the scenes, Whistler’s exclusive Object Oriented database runs the show, with support for millions of stored objects, limited only by SD Card capacity.
- The Complete RadioReference USA and Canada Database On Standard SD Card - The entire USA and Canada databases from www.radioreference.com are stored on a standard SD Card that is included with the WS1095, giving you access to the most comprehensive radio data available without connecting the WS1095 to a computer or the Internet! Free downloads of updated database, CPU and DSP firmware.
- Improved P25 Functionality - The TRX2 detects and masks digital voice audio, and decodes RadioID/TalkgroupID data embedded in voice packets.
- Upgradeable CPU Firmware, DSP Firmware and Library - Keep your radio’s CPU and DSP firmware and RadioReference library current with enhancements and updates as they become available with free upgrades!
- SD Card - Uses an industry standard SD Card to store the RadioReference data library and all of your programming - capacity for millions of stored objects! Supports cards up to 32 GB
- Full USB Interface - Industry standard Composite Device USB interface with USB Mass Storage Device (MSD) and Serial Data (CDC) support. Access the SD Card without removing it from the radio, stream decoded Control Channel data and upgrade your radio’s firmware over USB. Mini USB cable included.
- Powerful PC Application Software Included - Customize existing programming or add new objects to scan, and keep your WS1095 firmware and Library data up to date.
- SKYWARN Storm Spotter Functionality - Instant access to frequencies used by storm spotter networks. You can monitor storm conditions as they occur, and become aware of dangerous conditions before the media or emergency management officials are able to announce them to the general public.
- SAME and All Hazards Weather Alerting - The WS1095 features a Dedicated SAME Weather Alert Receiver mode, alerting you to severe weather and other hazards in the specific area(s) that you select, or, the WS1095 can check your local NOAA weather frequency periodically, even while scanning, and alert you when an All Hazards alert occurs.
- Multi-System Trunking - Scans most common analog trunked radio system signaling formats, including P25, Motorola, EDACS and LTR. Both talkgroup and individual call monitoring are supported.
- Powerful Spectrum Sweeper - Quickly sweeps the WS1095’s frequency ranges for transmissions from nearby sources. When a nearby transmission is found, the WS1095 automatically tunes to that frequency and receives the traffic. Lock out found frequencies and continue searching the same band.
- 200 Scanlists - The TRX2 provides the unprecedented ability to group your stored objects using up to 200 Scanlists plus a special Skywarn scanlist. Objects can be mapped to as many Scanlists as desired, giving you complete flexibility for grouping objects and selecting groups in any combination for scanning.
- Scan Sets - Scan Sets expand the functionality of Scanlists by allowing you to define different combinations of enabled Scanlists as Scan Sets, then you can select one or more Scan Sets for scanning using a simple menu system. With Scanlists and Scan Sets you have unlimited possibilities for grouping, enabling and disabling objects for scanning.
- Expanded V-Scanner II Storage System - With the expanded V-Scanner II (VS-II) storage system, you can use the WS1095 PC Application to save up to 200 V-Scanner configurations on the SD Card, which can be recalled at any time in the field using the radio’s keypad.
- Audio Recording - Record received audio from selected objects and searches to the SD card. Replay recorded audio using powerful built-in playback system or transfer to PC for playback and archiving. Record up to 100 hours of audio on the 4 GB SD card
- Built-In Clock/Calendar - Date and time stamp recorded audio files.
- Built-in Service Searches - Predefined service search ranges make it easy to find activity in your area.
- Whislter’s Exclusive Alert LED - Programmable tri-color LED displays thousands of colors that can be used to indicate different types of activity or activity on special channels. Program color sequences with multiple colors for special alerts, even emulate the red/blue strobe of police vehicles.
- Audible Alarms - Programmable audible alarms can be configured to sound when certain objects are active.
- Programmable Backlight and Alert LED Flash Patterns - The backlight can be programmed to flash with custom flash patterns when certain objects are active, providing another way alerting the operator when important radio traffic is present.
- Signal Strength Meter - Shows relative strength of received signals. Slim, compact case design with textured exterior finish and large speaker - Designed for durability and ease of use.
- Spectrum Sweeper
- 25-54 MHz VHF Low Band
- 108-137 MHz VHF Aircraft Band
- 137-174 MHz VHF High Band
- 216-300 MHz 220 MHz Commercial/Amateur Band
- 300-406 MHz UHF Military Air Band
- 406-470 MHz UHF Band
- 470-512 MHz UHF-T Band
- 764-782 MHz 700 MHz Band
- 791-797 MHz 700 MHz Band
- 806-869 MHz 800 MHz Band
- 894-1300 MHz 900 MHz Band, 23 cm Amateur Band
- Public Safety
- 33.4-46.5 MHz VHF Low Band
- 151-170 MHz VHF Aircraft Band
- 453-467 MHz VHF High Band
- 764-782 MHz 700 MHz Band
- 791-797 MHz 700 MHz Band
- 806-869 MHz 800 MHz Band
In the Box
- USB cable
- SD Card
- AC Adapter
- DC Power cord
- Mounting brackets w/hardware
- LAN cable
- Users Guide
On the micro SD Card
- EZ SCAN™ Digital Scanning Software App
Additional Detailed Specs
- Antenna Impedance 50 Ohms
- Receiving system Triple conversion PLL (Phase-Locked Loop) super heterodyne
- Display Full dot matrix LCD: 132 x 65 dots, microcontrolled bitmap font
- Sensitivity (FM 12 dB SINAD unless otherwise noted):
- VHF Low 0.2 μV
- VHF Aircraft (AM) 0.4 μV
- VHF High 137-174 MHz 0.3 μV
- VHF High 216-300 MHz 0.4 μV
- UHF Low 300-406MHz 0.8 μV
- UHF/UHF-T 406-512 MHz 0.4 μV
- UHF High 764-960 MHz 0.5 μV
- 1240 -1300 MHz .0.5 μV
- Squelch sensitivity (band center):
- Threshold AM/FM 0.5 μV
- Tight (S+N)/N: AM 20 dB, FM 25 dB
- Spurious rejection VHF High at 154.1 MHz: 40 dB (Except Primary image)
- Signal to noise ratio 35-40 dB typical (100 μV input signal)
- Scanning rate without trunking 138-147.9 MHz:70ch/second (in 100 kHz Intervals)
- Search rate 162.25-167.25 MHz: 80 steps/sec.
- Scan and Search delay time: 2 seconds, Audio max. power RF input :100 μV at 154.1 MHz (DEV:3kHz at 1kHz), 8 Ohms Resistor Load at speaker terminal, (BTL): 500 m Watts
- Speaker Built-in 36mm 8 Ohms dynamic speaker
- Current drain: 8 Ohm internal speaker at 154.1 MHz, 5V Ext Power, Squelched: 170 mA, (Back-light off w/o charging)
- Intermediate frequency
- 1st 380.8 MHz
- 2nd 21.4 MHz
- 3rd 455 kHz
- Operating voltage
- 12-14.4 VDC, 13.8 VDC nominal, 16VDC Max.
- Dimensions (HWD) 1.75 x 7.125 x 5.31 inch (45 x 180 x 135 mm)
- Weight 33.5 oz.(9.5kg) w/o antenna
LED Colors: Problems displaying Yellow
- In TRX-1: New User TRX-1 Question (Post 9), some users mentioned that the preset "yellow" LED color displays as a yellow-green color, and that a better RGB code for displaying true yellow, is F84035. This also applies to the TRX-2.
- The TRX-2 began shipping in the 3rd-4th week of June 2016.
Third Party Applications
- GRE/RS PC Object Oriented FAQ
- Connection Issues Under Win 10.x Using the WS-1080 / 1095
- Multi-Site Trunked System Programming for Whistler/GRE Object-Oriented Scanners
Return to the Whistler Scanners page