From The RadioReference Wiki
The Whistler TRX-1 is a digital handheld scanner, direct sibling to the TRX-2 Desktop/Mobile Scanner, capable of numerous Digital Modes used in today's Public Safety arena and many amateur & business use digital transceivers. It was announced in May 2016 and released in late June of the same year. The TRX-1 comes complete with the Radio Reference data base on a micro SD card. Upon receiving the unit, be sure to update it to the latest firmware before scanning. The scanner interfaces only with a proprietary software called EZ SCAN™ for programming. Some users report connection problems with Windows based PCs.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 RR System Compatibility
- 3 Features, Specs, & Details
- 4 Ship Date
- 5 Third Party Applications
- 6 Wiki Articles
- 7 Message Boards/forums
The Whistler TRX-1 is a handheld multi-system adaptive digital trunking scanner it allows for 4 AA batteries to take handheld on the go, allowing 7-13hrs hours of continuous monitoring. The scanner is capable of decoding numerous modes of analog and digital transmissions, to include but not limited to: Motorola P25 Phase I, Phase II, DMR, and NXDN making it capable of monitoring the following multiple channels and/or systems at any given time (does not and will not decode Encrypted channels or Systems).
RR System Compatibility
- System Types
- Motorola Type I
- Motorola Type II
- Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
- Motorola Type II Smartnet
- Motorola Type II SmartZone
- Motorola Type II SmartZone OmniLink
- EDACS Standard (Wide)
- EDACS Standard Networked (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- EDACS Narrowband (Narrow) (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- EDACS Narrowband Networked (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- EDACS SCAT (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- EDACS ESK (DOES NOT SUPPORT PROVOICE)
- LTR Standard
- APCO Project 25 Standard
- Project 25 Phase I
- Project 25 X2-TDMA
- Project 25 Phase II
- DMR MOTOTRBO
- Conventional DMR
- Hytera XPT
- MotoTRBO™ Capacity Plus
- MotoTRBO™ Connect Plus
- MotoTRBO™ Linked Cap Plus systems
- NXDN NEXEDGE 1
- NXDN IDAS 1
- System Voices
- Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
- APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive P25 CAI
- NXDN Digital (NXDN Common Air Interface) 1
- Please see the Can It Be Decoded section of the NXDN article for further information
Features, Specs, & Details
These models feature a full back-lit alphanumeric keypad in addition to the easy-to-use Scan, Pause, Select and Navigation controls. All USA/Canada services and frequencies are pre-programmed onto the included SD card making the units ready to use out of the box – they can even be programmed by entering your ZIP code.
- Upgradeable CPU, DSP firmwares, and library
- Store Favorite Scanlists
- EZ Scan PC Software
- IF/discriminator output
- Permits recording by scannable object and saves into a Windows compatible audio file
- Clock and calendar function adds date/time info to the recordings
- Dedicated SKYWARN®/Weather button
- Spectrum Sweeper
- Programmable audio and visual alert system
(quoted from Whistler's website)
- MULTI-SYSTEM TRUNKING - scans most common analog trunked radio system signaling formats, including APCO P25 Phase I and II, Motorola, EDACS and LTR. Both talkgroup and individual call monitoring are supported.
- FULL KEYBOARD - and display w back-lit Alphanumeric keypad familiar Scan, Pause, Skip and Navigation controls make it easy to use.
- OBJECT ORIENTED MENU DRIVEN USER INTERFACE - provides common data entry, browsing, and control methods for every scannable object with support for millions of stored objects, limited only by Micro SD card capacity.
- EASILY CREATE NEW OBJECTS - and edit existing trunked Systems, Sites, & Talkgroups w/o PC.
- THE COMPLETE RADIO REFERENCE USA AND CANADA DATABASE ON MICRO SD CARD - from www.radioreference.com is included, giving you access to the most comprehensive radio data available w/o connecting to a computer or the Internet! Free downloads of updated database, CPU and DSP ﬁrmware w/ PC.
- IMPROVED P25 FUNCTIONALITY - detects digital voice audio, and decodes Radio ID / TGID data embedded in voice packets.
- BUILT-IN DISCRIMINATOR OUTPUT - provides raw discriminator signal to third party signal decoding software w/o risky hardware modiﬁcations.
- UPGRADEABLE CPU FIRMWARE, DSP FIRMWARE AND LIBRARY - keep your radio’s CPU and DSP ﬁrmware and RadioReference library current with enhancements and updates as they become available with free firmware upgrades!
- MICRO SD CARD - to store the RadioReference data library and all of your programming - capacity for millions of stored objects! Support up-to 32 GB.
- FULL USB INTERFACE - Composite Device USB interface with USB Mass Storage Device (MSD) and Serial Data (CDC) support. Access the Micro SD card w/o removing it from the radio, stream decoded Control Channel data and/or upgrade your radio’s ﬁrmware over USB.
- POWERFUL PC APPLICATION SOFTWARE INCLUDED - customize existing programming or add new objects to scan, and keep your ﬁrmware and Library data up to date.
- SKYWARN® STORM SPOTTER FUNCTIONALITY - instant access to frequencies used by storm spotter networks. You can monitor storm conditions as they occur, and become aware of dangerous conditions before the media or emergency management ofﬁcials are able to announce them to the general public.
- SAME AND ALL HAZARDS WEATHER ALERTING - features a Dedicated SAME Weather Alert Receiver mode, alerting you to severe weather and other hazards in the speciﬁc area(s) that you select, or, can check your local NOAA weather frequency periodically, even while scanning, and alert you when an All Hazards alert occurs.
- POWERFUL SPECTRUM SWEEPER - quickly sweeps the frequency ranges for transmissions from nearby sources. When a nearby transmission is found, the scanner automatically tunes to that frequency and receives the trafﬁc. Lockout found frequencies and continue searching the same band.
- 200 SCANLISTS - provides the unprecedented ability to group your stored objects using up to 200 Scanlists plus a special Skywarn® scanlist. Objects can be mapped to as many Scanlists as desired, giving you complete ﬂexibility for grouping objects and selecting groups in any combination for scanning.
- SCAN SETS - expand the functionality of Scanlists by allowing you to deﬁne different combinations of enabled Scanlists as Scan Sets, then you can select one or more Scan Sets for scanning using a simple menu system. With Scanlists and Scan Sets you have unlimited possibilities for grouping, enabling and disabling objects for scanning.
- EXPANDED V-SCANNER II(2) STORAGE SYSTEM - with the expanded (VS-II) storage system, you can use the PC Application to save up to 200 V-Scanner conﬁgurations on the Micro SD Card, which can be recalled at any time in the ﬁeld using the radio’s keypad.
- AUDIO RECORDING - record received audio from selected objects and searches to the Micro SD card. Replay recorded audio using powerful built-in playback system or transfer to PC for playback and archiving. Record over 50 hours of audio.
- BUILT-IN CLOCK/CALENDAR - date & time stamp recorded audio ﬁles, and “alarm clock” function allows you to program the scanner to wake up and start scanning at a speciﬁc time each day.
- BUILT-IN SERVICE SEARCHES - provide predeﬁned service search ranges make it easy to ﬁnd activity in your area.
- WHISTLER’S EXCLUSIVE ALERT LED - programmable tri-color LED displays thousands of colors that can be used to indicate different types of activity or activity on special channels. Program color sequences with multiple colors for special alerts, even emulate the red/blue strobe of police vehicles.
- PROGRAMMABLE AUDIBLE ALARMS - can be conﬁgured to sound when certain objects are active.
- PROGRAMMABLE BACK-LIGHT AND ALERT LED FLASH PATTERNS - The back-light can be programmed to ﬂash with custom ﬂash patterns when certain objects are active, providing another way alerting the operator when important radio trafﬁc is present.
- SIGNAL STRENGTH METER - Shows relative strength of received signals.
- Spectrum Sweeper
- 25-54 MHz VHF Low Band
- 108-137 MHz VHF Aircraft Band
- 137-174 MHz VHF High Band
- 216-300 MHz 220 MHz Commercial/Amateur Band
- 300-406 MHz UHF Military Air Band
- 406-470 MHz UHF Band
- 470-512 MHz UHF-T Band
- 764-782 MHz 700 MHz Band
- 791-797 MHz 700 MHz Band
- 806-869 MHz 800 MHz Band
- 894-1300 MHz 900 MHz Band, 23 cm Amateur Band
- Public Safety
- 33.4-46.5 MHz VHF Low Band
- 151-170 MHz VHF Aircraft Band
- 453-467 MHz VHF High Band
- 764-782 MHz 700 MHz Band
- 791-797 MHz 700 MHz Band
- 806-869 MHz 800 MHz Band
In the Box
- Digital Handheld Scanner
- BNC Antenna
- USB A to USB Mini-B programming/power cable
- Swivel Belt Clip
- Removable rubber case and inserts
- 2 colored inserts (Green and Grey)
- Battery Cover
- User Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- 2gb micro SD Card
On the micro SD Card
- EZ SCAN™ Digital Scanning Software App
Additional Detailed Specs
- Antenna Impedance 50 Ohms
- Receiving system Triple conversion PLL (Phase-Locked Loop) super heterodyne
- Display Full dot matrix LCD: 132 x 65 dots, microcontrolled bitmap font
- Sensitivity (FM 12 dB SINAD unless otherwise noted)
- VHF Low 0.2 μV
- VHF Aircraft (AM) 0.4 μV
- VHF High 137-174 MHz 0.3 μV
- VHF High 216-300 MHz 0.4 μV
- UHF Low 300-406MHz 0.8 μV
- UHF/UHF-T 406-512 MHz 0.4 μV
- UHF High 764-960 MHz 0.5 μV
- 1240 -1300 MHz .0.5 μV
- Squelch sensitivity (band center)
- Threshold AM/FM 0.5 μV
- Tight (S+N)/N: AM 20 dB, FM 25 dB
- Spurious rejection VHF High at 154.1 MHz: 40 dB (Except Primary image)
- Signal to noise ratio 35-40 dB typical (100 μV input signal)
- Scanning rate without trunking 138-147.9 MHz:70ch/second (in 100 kHz Intervals)
- Search rate 162.25-167.25 MHz: 80 steps/sec.
- Scan and Search delay time: 2 seconds, Audio max. power RF input :100 μV at 154.1 MHz (DEV:3kHz at 1kHz), 8 Ohms Resistor Load at speaker terminal, (BTL): 500 m Watts
- Speaker Built-in 36mm 8 Ohms dynamic speaker
- Current drain: 8 Ohm internal speaker at 154.1 MHz, 5V Ext Power, Squelched: 170 mA, (Back-light off w/o charging)
- Intermediate frequency
- 1st 380.8 MHz
- 2nd 21.4 MHz
- 3rd 455 kHz
- Operating voltage
- DC 4.8v 4 AA Ni-MH batteries
- DC 6v 4 AA alkaline batteries
- External power & charge voltage via USB cord DC 5v minimum 500mA
- Dimensions H5.31 x W2.12 x D1.06inch (135 x 67 x 28 mm)
- Weight 7.4 oz. (210g) w/o antenna and batteries
LED Colors: Problems displaying Yellow
- In TRX-1: New User TRX-1 Question (Post 9), some users mentioned that the preset "yellow" LED color displays as a yellow-green color, and that a better RGB code for displaying true yellow, is F84035.
- The TRX-1 began shipping in the 3rd-4th week of June 2016.
Third Party Applications
- GRE/RS PC Object Oriented FAQ
- Connection Issues Under Win 10.x Using the WS-1080 / 1095
- Multi-Site Trunked System Programming for Whistler/GRE Object-Oriented Scanners
- RadioReference Whistler Scanners Forum
- Radio Scanners Uniden / Whistler
- unofficial Whistler Scanner Radio enthusiasts Open Discussion
- Whistler Scanner Users UK
- Whistler USA TRX-1 & TRX-2 Digital Scanner Radio
- Radio Scanner World
- Radio Scanners
- Scanner Enthusiasts
- Radio Scanner Help and Chat
Return to the Whistler Scanners page