MTO Highway Maintenance
From The RadioReference Wiki
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Terminology
- 3 Winter Road and Weather Reports
- 4 Southwestern Ontario
- 5 Golden Horseshoe & Simcoe
- 6 Central Ontario
- 7 Eastern Ontario
- 8 Northeastern Ontario
- 9 GTA area (need patrol numbers)
- 10 Unidentified MTO Talkgroups
This is a list of MTO Maintenance Patrol numbers and also other highway info for Ontario Provincial Highways. Please list any MTO information on this wiki. This list was originally compiled from our Eastern Canada Forum members. Thanks everybody!
- This map shows the areas contractors are assigned to for maintenance in southern Ontario: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/ontario-511/pdfs/southern-ontario-maintenance-contract-areas-map.pdf
- 511on.ca - To help identify patrols, you can enable driving conditions in the map legend. It should reflect the road conditions reported by the patrollers. Unless the patroller specifies different conditions for each highway, the map will generally show the same road condition for all roads in the patrollers coverage area. Clicking on a coloured road (while road conditions is enabled) will bring up a box with information such as primary/secondary road conditions, and the start/end location of the selected roadway in the patrol's coverage area.
- TC-54 - orange and black striped construction barrels
- TC-12 - flashing arrow board, either mounted on a vehicle or trailer
- ERU - Emergency response unit. Sometimes pronounced as one word "eroo"
- Light standards - light poles or high mast lighting
- Crash trucks - trucks mounted with a crash attenuator and large arrow board
- Pad/Crash Pad - crash attenuator on rear of crash trucks
- CL - Connecting links. Municipal maintained roads that are marked as, or connect, Provincial Highways.
Winter Road and Weather Reports
During winter seasons, every few hours the MTO comm centres will do road reports. Highway condition information is from area supervisors (patrols).
Ottawa Dispatch Road Reports: 02:00,06:00,09:00,13:00,15:00,21:00 (weather reports are read at 5 minutes to the hour for the 09:00 and 21:00 Road Reports)
Bancroft Dispatch Road Reports: 00:30,02:30,06:30,09:30,13:30,16:30,21:30 (weather reports are read at 5 minutes to the hour for the 09:30 and 21:30 Road Reports)
Road reports are typically provided by the patrols in the following order:
- Wind Direction
- Wind Speed
- Sky Condition (clouds)
- Road Conditions
MTO Road Condition Codes
For more specific information on road or visibility conditions listed below, see: https://511on.ca/about/terminology#RoadConditions
- AN: none
- Rain: rain [L-M-H]
- Fr Rain: Freezing Rain [L-M-H]
- Snow: Snow [L-M-H]
- Ice Pel: Ice Pellets [L-M-H]
- Mix: Mix (Rain/Snow) [L-M-H]
- N: North
- NE: North East
- E: East
- SE: South East
- S: South
- SW: South West
- W: West
- NW: North West
Wind / Speed
- CALM: Calm
- LT: Light
- MOD: Moderate
- STRONG: Strong
- Partly Cloudy
- RB: Road Bare and Dry
- WET: Roads Bare and Wet
- PSC: Partly Snow Covered
- RSC: Road Snow Covered
- PSP: Partly Snow Packed
- RSP: Road Snow Packed
- RI: Road Ice Covered
- PIC: Partly Ice Covered
- PAT: Patrolling
- OP: Plowing
- OSA: Sanding
- OSG: Salting
- DLA: Direct Liquid Application (salt brine) -- (Winter Deicing)
- CU: Clean Up
Dispatched by London XLS 445.
Chatham Area Talkgroups
|38080||94c||A||CAMC 1||Chatham 1|
|38096||94d||A||CAMC 2||Chatham 2|
|38112||94e||A||CAMC 3||Chatham 3|
|38128||94f||A||CAMC 4||Chatham 4|
London Area Talkgroups
|38240||956||A||1LCS||Supervisors and Coordinators|
|38752||976||A||LAMC 12||Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge|
For winter road and weather reports, the Chatham and London talkgroups are patched together. Winter road reports are at 3am, 6am, 11am, 3pm, 9pm
- Patrol #Windsor (formerly DBi) - Windsor City. Highway 401, 3, E.C. Row and Ojibway Parkway
- Patrol #1 Essex County
- Belle River - 401 from Windsor to Tilbury, 3 from Leamington to Windsor, Highway 77
- Patrol #2 - Chatham-Kent (Based in Kent Centre - corner of Hwys 40 & 401). Covers Hwy 401 in Chatham-Kent?
- Patrol #3 - Iona - 401 in Elgin and Middlesex west of London.
- Patrol #4 - Hwy 402 (Bluewater Bridge to Navoo Road/Exit 44) based in Reece's Corners
Patrol #4A - Hwy 40 (402 to Wallaceburg), based in Courtright(4A is no longer used)
- Patrol #4B - Hwy 21 (402 to St Joseph), based in Port Franks
- Patrol # 11 - Middlesex. Highway 4, Highway 401, Highway 402 (Exit 44 Nauvoo Rd to Delaware exit). Based in Strathroy
- Patrol # 12 - Highways 403 & 24 in Brant Co, Based in Paris
- Patrol # 13 - on Kitchener TG LAMCO 38752
- Based out of Woodstock or Kitchener (Sportsworld) yards
- Highway 401 - From Drumbo (#250) to Highway 6 South (#299)
- Highway 7 (Conestoga Parkway) from Hwy 85 to Hwy 7/8
- Highway 8 from 401 to Hwy 7/8 (Conestoga Parkway)
- Highway 7/8 - From Kitchener to Stratford
- Patrol # 14 - on Guelph TG 38208 LAMC7. Based in Guelph yard
- Waterloo Region
- Highway 85 - from Hwy 7 to St. Jacobs
- Wellington County
- Highway 7 from Kitchener to Guelph and from Guelph to Georgetown
- Highway 6 from Fergus to Guelph, and from Guelph (Hanlon Expressway) to the 401 (ramps to/from the 401 are done by Patrol 13)
- Waterloo Region
- Patrol # 15 - Haldimand & Norfolk, Highways 3 & 6 & Highway 24 ?
- Patrol # 16 - Norfolk County, Highways 3 & 19.
- Sportsworld Drive - north of Hwy 8 in Kitchener. Patrol 13 is based here and is the main patrol yard for the area.
- New Hamburg Yard - On Nafziger Rd, at the corner of Highway 5 and 8. Plows at this yard use TG 38752
- Guelph Yard - On Elmira Rd N, between Woodlawn Rd and Malcolm Rd (same location as the 12WDLN Fleetnet site). Plows based here usually service the Hanlon, 6 and 7 on Guelph TG 38208. Guelph Yard does not have 'crash trucks'. Should they be required, they will usually send them from the Kitchener yard (Sportsworld Drive). Patrol 14 is based here during winter maintenance seasons.
- Reece's Corners - Patrol 4 is based here
In non-winter seasons, Patrol 13 would take over Patrol 14's areas. As a result, Patrol 14 and the Guelph TG 38208 are usually inactive during this time.
ERU (Emergency Response Unit) is on the Kitchener TG 38752. ERU will often respond to calls in Patrol 13's area, similar to Site 3 and Site 4 on the Morriston talkgroup in Halton/Peel West.
Owen Sound Area
Controller is London 445. Includes various OAMC talkgroups for the Owen Sound area.
|38288||959||A||OAMC 2||Owen Sound 2|
|38336||95c||A||OAMC 5||Owen Sound 5|
|38352||95d||A||OAMC 6||Chatsworth/Meaford - Hwy 6/Hwy 26|
- Patrol #21 - Mitchell North - Hwy 4, 7, 8, 23
- Patrol #22 - Goderich - Hwy 4, 8, 21
- Patrol #23 - Shelburne Area - Hwy 10, 89
- Patrol #24 - Chatsworth - Hwy 6, 10, 26
- Patrol #25 - Kincardine - Hwy 9, 21
- Patrol #26 - Clavering - Hwy 6, 21
- Patrol #27 - Arthur/Palmerston/Harriston - Hwy 6, 9, 23, 89
- Patrol #23a - Owen Sound (Not in use anymore)
- Patrol #24a - Meaford (Not in use anymore)
- Arthur Yard - On corner of Smith St. and Preston St N
- Harriston Yard - On Hwy 9, near the intersection of Elora St N and Louise St.
Golden Horseshoe & Simcoe
Dispatched by MTO (XLS 201), possibly out of the Traffic Operations Centre in Toronto. 201 has access to traffic cameras and works closely with OPP dispatchers to deal with calls such as debris, accidents, disabled vehicles and general road hazards.
- Units on the Niagara Talkgroup cover all provincial roads in Niagara Region.
- Units on the Burlington Talkgroup covers provincial roads in most of Hamilton, and small parts of Halton and Niagara region
- Units on the Morriston talkgroup covers Hwy 401 from 6 South to Weston, Hwy 403 in Mississauga, and Hwy 410.
Here is a map to help decipher the areas listed below: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/ontario-511/pdfs/southern-ontario-maintenance-contract-areas-map.pdf
|38448||963||A||NIAG REG SUPR||Niagara Supervisors|
|38544||969||A||TOR SPVR||Toronto Supervisors|
|38736||975||A||TOR CORE||Toronto Core (Mimico Yard)|
|38384||95f||A||KMCO||KMCO - Supervisors|
|38400||960||A||KMC9||KMC9 - Cookstown/Barrie/Stayner/Midhurst Yards|
|38416||961||A||KMC10||KMC10 - Forest Home/Brechin Patrol Yards|
|38432||962||A||KMC11||KMC11 - Hillsdale/Coldwater Patrol Yards|
The Barrie, Hamilton & Toronto area talkgroups are patched together for winter road reports. The patrols below will have their winter road and weather reports done at: 05:00, 09:00, 14:30, 19:30, & 23:30.
- Patrol #10 - QEW Niagara Falls to Fort Erie and are dispatched from Bowen base in Fort Erie
- Patrol #11 - QEW Vineland Station to Niagara Falls
- Patrol #12 - Niagara Falls Thorold, Welland
- Patrol #13
13A(13A & B are no longer used) - QEW north of Niagara Falls to the Hamilton line (the base is Homer Yd in St.Catharines) Patrol #13B - Canfield
- Patrol #20 - QEW Burlington to Stoney Creek
- Patrol #21 - 403 from Jerseyville Road to Hamilton. 403 from Hamilton to Burlington. Possibly covers Highways 5/6/8 in Flamborough on Burlington TG 38464 (BURL).
- Patrol #22 - Mississauga, Oakville, West Toronto
- Patrol #23 - Flamborough - Highway 8 from Studiman Rd to Highway 5, Highway 5 from Hwy8 to Hwy6 Clappison corners. Responsible for lights at Clappison Corners intersection. On the Burlington talkgroup.
- Patrol #30 - Highway 401 from 6 South to Trafalgar Rd; Highway 6 from 401 to Highway 5 (Clappison Corners). Based out of Morriston yard and on the Morriston talkgroup.
- Patrol #31 - On Morriston TG 38480 (MORR). Handles calls on Hwy 410, and on Hwy 401 from Trafalgar Rd to just before Hwy 400.
- Patrol #32 - Highway 10 from Highway 410 to Highway 9. Hwy 9 from Orangeville to Hwy 50. Based out of Caledon yard.
- Patrol #40 - Highway 401 from Highway 400 to Morningside Ave
- Patrol #41 - Highway 404 (mentions of Elgin Mills)
- Patrol #42 South -
- Patrol #42 North - Mention of Hwy 400, Hwy 9
- Patrol #60 -
- Patrol #61 - Referencing operations on HWY 115, and Hwy 401
- Patrol #62 - Referencing operations on HWY 12 north. Mention of 7 North, 7 South, 7/12, 7A.
- Patrol #63 - Mention of Hwy 48
- Patrol #64 - Mention of 407 and 412
- Patrol #65 -
- Patrol #70 - Barrie (Stayner & Midhurst are satellite yards)
- HWY 400 from IBR to 11 split. HWY 26 from Barrie to Collingwood (excluding Stayner). TG 38400 Labelled KMC9 (shared with Cookstown yard)
- Patrol #70A
- Patrol #70B
- Patrol #71 - Coldwater (Hillsdale is a satellite yard)
- HWY 400 from 11 split to Port Severn; HWY 93 from 400 to 12; HWY 12 from 93 to Warminster/Prices Corner (excluding Fesserton). TG 38432 labelled KMC11
- Patrol #71A
- Patrol #72 - Forest Home (Brechin is a satellite yard)
- HWY 11 from 400 split to 169/Severn Bridge; Hwy 12 from Warminster/Prices Corner to Brechin/Gamebridge. TG 38416 Labelled KMC10
- Patrol #73 - Cookstown
- HWY 400 from Canal Road to IBR (Innisfil Beach Road); HWY 89 from 400 to Rosemont (excluding New Tecumseth/Alliston). Supervisors road report on TG 38384 which is labeled KMCO. Patrol 73 and plows on this stretch of HWY 400 share TG 38400 KMC9 with Patrol 70
- Patrol #80 -
- Patrol #81 -
- Patrol #82 -
- Patrol #83 -
In this area, Site 5 is on talkgroup 38736 (Toronto Core, Mimico Yard)
- Site 5:
- Highway 409
- Highway 427
- QEW from Bronte(?) to 427
- Highway 403 from QEW split to Erin Mills Parkway(?)
- Crews in this area use the Morriston talkgroup 38480.
- Patrol 30, 31 and 32 are supervisors in this area
- 30, 31 and 32 maintenance operates in the area, usually doing short term construction or repairs (lasting a few hours or days) and regular maintenance (such as grass cutting, litter picking).
- Site 3 and Site 4 are emergency response crews. They will respond to calls for things such as disabled vehicles, debris, and can help setup lane/highway closures. A 'site' usually consists of a pickup truck and a crash truck working together. The driver of the pickup truck will usually handle radio calls and respond to calls whilst the crash truck would follow behind.
- Site 3: 401 from 6 South to 403/410; 403 from 401 to Mississauga Rd; Highway 6 from 401 to Highway 5
- Site 4: 401 from 403/410 to just before 400 (east of Weston); the 410; Highway 10 from 410 to Highway 9(?)
- Caledon - Located on Hwy 10, about 750 meters south of Charleston Sideroad (Hwy 24), at the same location as the MTO Carpool parking lot. Patrol 32 is based out of this yard
- Morriston - On Highway 6 south near 401 exit 299, at the same site as the car pool parking lot.
- Crews in this area are on the Burlington talkgroup 38464
- Patrols 20, 21, 22, 23
- Site 2
- QEW from Burloak Drive(?) to Bartlett Avenue
- Highway 403 from QEW/407 to Sunnyridge Rd(?)
- Highway 6 from Highway 5 Clappison Corners to 403
Winter road patrolling is performed 24 / 7 out of the four main yards for the winter months. The satellite yards have equipment which is deployed after being ordered out by the patrollers of the main yards. The equipment is a variety of snow plows, sanders, combination units, (Plows and sanders) and tankers for Direct Liquid Applications of salt/brine.
There are approximately 40 units in total.
- Patrol 70 is Barrie Main yard (Stayner and Midhurst are both satellite yards) TG 38400 KMC-9
- Patrol 71 is Coldwater Main yard (Hillsdale is a satellite yard) TG 38432 KMC-11
- Patrol 72 is Forest Home Main yard (Brechin is a satellite yard) TG 38416 KMC-10
- Patrol 73 is Cookstown Main yard TG 38400 KMC-9
- Simcoe ERU (Emergency Response Unit) is out of the Barrie yard and is also on TG 38400 KMC-9
- Covers HWY 400 from Canal Rd to HWY 11/400 split. They also share TG 38400 labeled KMC9 with Patrols 70 & 73
There are 8 patrol yards within Simcoe where Winter Maintenance activities are deployed from.
- Cookstown - on Hwy 89 west of Hwy 400
- Barrie - off of Essa Rd west of Hwy 400
- Coldwater - on County Rd. 16 just north of the town
- Hillsdale - on the west side of Hwy 93 south of the town
- Midhurst - on the east side of County Rd. 27 approx 5 km north of Barries Bayfield Street
- Stayner - on the north side County Rd 91 (Main Street) approx. 1 km west of the intersection of Main and King Streets
- Forest Home - on the north side of Hwy 11 at Oro-Medonte line 14
- Brechin - on the west side of Hwy 12 at the intersection of 12 and Hwy 169 north of brechin
- Bowen - Covers Fort Erie
- Homer - Covers St Catharines, northern regions.
- Beaverdams - Refers to the depot in Thorald and covers the city of Niagara Falls.
- Burlington - Burlington Yard is at the Q and Northshore, right at Joseph Brant Hospital and where the OPP Burlington detachement is.
- Palermo - Covers eastern regions of Halton (located in Western Oakville)
- Duffs Corners - Handles calls in Flamborough as well as calls in Hamilton on the 403,(especially mountain calls).
- Patrol #? - ?
- Click image for bigger
- Here is some info on winter operations on the eastern region from MTO Mtce Superintendent in the Kingston area.
- Superintendent's area is the yellow and green colours; the yellow line on hwy 401 should run to the west of Kingston to a turnaround just west of Camden East km maker 589; it's shown in red now, Patrol 51's west limits.
- The Patrols that I manage are the ones in the fifties 51, 52, 53 and 54 with the A's and B's as the sub yards. Generally the patrolling units run out of the main yards but I have patrollers running out of Camden east 51A to cover hwy 33 Kingston to Glenora Ferry and out of Crosby 51B too on hwy 15 hwy 401 to Smith Falls just because of the distances and so the main patroller stays on Hwy 401. Once the storm starts the 51A and B patrollers then become plow / spreader operators and relay conditions to the 51 patroller.
- My contractor is TWD Roads Management Inc. you may have seen this name on trucks or signs at yards or on the Hwys they maintain. In my area TWD has 58 plows and spreader units which have specific routes for each unit that run out all the 9 yards in my area.
- There are four Maintenance Superintendents in the Region. Kingston has two with the Patrol numbers in the 60's. The Ottawa Area has one superintendent with the patrols in 70's. The Bancroft Superintendent uses the 43xx numbers.
OTTAWA DISPATCH PATROL YARDS- XMN-98
- Patrol 51E - /Brockville - Hwy. 401
- Patrol 51W - Kingston Hwy's 401, 15, TIP, 2
- Patrol 53 - Morrisburg - Hwy. 401, 138
- Patrol 54 - Kemptville - Hwy. 416
- Patrol 75 - Carleton Place- Hwy's 7 and 15
- Patrol 77E - McNab/Haley Station - Hwy 17, 417
- Patrol 77 - Pembroke
- Patrol 77W - Point Alexander /Stoncliffe
- Patrol 78E - Vankleek Hill - Hwy's 417 and 34
- Patrol 78W - Carlsbad Springs - Hwy 417
- Patrol 79 - Kanata - Hwy's 416, 417
BANCROFT DISPATCH PATROL YARDS - XLS-327
- 4360 Patrol 60 - Grafton
- 4361 Patrol 61 - Marysville Patrol
- Patrol 61A - Bloomfield
- 4362E Patrol 62E - Tweed - Hwy's 37, 62
- 4362W Patrol 62W - Madoc
- 4370 Patrol 70 - Cloyne - Hwy's 28, 41
- 4371 Patrol 71 - Denbigh - Hwy's 28, 41
- 4372 Patrol 72 - Dacre - Hwy's 41, 60, and 132
- 4373 Patrol 73 - Eganville - Hwy's 41, 60, and 132
- 4374 Patrol 74 - Barry's Bay - Hwy's 60, 123, 127, 523
- 4376 Patrol 76 - Maynooth
- 4381 Patrol 81 - Bow Lake
- 4382 Patrol 82 - Youngs Point
- 4383 Patrol 83 - Fraserville - Hwy 115
- 4384 Patrol 84 - Lindsay - Hwy's 7A West, 35
- Patrol #83,83b - Blind River
- Patrol #84,84b - Goulais Bay, Batchawana Yard
- Patrol #85,85b - Wawa
- Patrol #86 - White River?
- Patrol #87 - Chapleau
GTA area (need patrol numbers)
Please help complete this list!
The following is a list of the Patrol Areas in the GTA. These don't include Patrol Numbers, only the areas they serve...so hopefully if you over hear something, we can use these areas to map them out...
- 400 Maple Leaf to Canal Road (Bradford)
- 400 Canal Rd to Barrie
- 400 Barrie to Craighurst
- 400 Craighurst to Port Severn
- 401 Highway 6 South to Trafalgar - Patrol 30
- 401 Trafalgar to Junction highway 400 (North York) Patrol 31
- 401 Junction Highway 400 to Morningside Avenue (Scarborough) - Patrol 40
- 401 Morningside Avenue (Scarborough) to Harmony Road (Oshawa)
- 401 Harmony Road (Oshawa) to Durham/Northumberland Boundary Rd
- 403 Mavis to Highway 401
- 403 Jerseyville Road to Hamilton
- 403 Hamilton to Burlington
- 404 Highway 401 to Greenlane - Patrol 41
- 405 Junction QEW (IC 37) to Queenston
- 406 QEW to Welland
- 410 Bovaird to Highway 401 - Patrol 31
- 409 Airport Rd to Highway 401
- 420 Junction of QEW (Interchange 30) to Niagara Falls
- 427 Junction of QEW (Etobicoke) to Kleinburg
- QEW Junction highway 427 (Etobicoke) to Erin Mills Parkway
- QEW Erin Mills Parkway to Burlington
- QEW Burlington to Stoney Creek
- QEW Stoney Creek to Vineland Station
- QEW Vineland Station to Niagara Falls (Patrol 11)
- QEW Niagara Falls to Fort Erie (Patrol 10)
Unidentified MTO Talkgroups
|38048||94a||A||MTO COM||MTO Common|
|38720||974||A||SPR 1||Spare 1|
Refresh this page from the latest database entry