From The RadioReference Wiki
Revision as of 16:56, 3 May 2021 by Ka3jjz
The Uniden SDS100 is a handheld scanner manufactured by Uniden America released in Q2 of 2018 with an introductory MSRP of $699 It is the first scanner to incorporate I/Q technology and SDR (Software Defined Radio) in a handheld scanner. This provides superior performance scanning LSM (Linear Simulcast Modulation) systems. It uses the Uniden HomePatrol database and Uniden Sentinel Software for ease of programming. Its front panel interface and menus are functionally identical to the BCD436HP. Its most important new features include water resistance and customizable color LCD.
- 1 Physical and Tech Specs
- 2 Features
- 3 Programming and Interface
- 4 Connectivity
- 5 Features missing from SDS100 previously in BCD436HP
- 6 RR System Compatibility
- 7 Frequency Coverage
- 8 Modulation & Steps
- 9 Included in the Box
- 10 Included on the microSD CARD
- 11 Power Requirements
- 12 Videos
- 13 USB Pinout
- 14 Related Pages
Physical and Tech Specs
- 240x320 pixel, plastic, color LCD screen (147 user-selectable colors for text and background)
- Weatherproof Backlit Display and Keypad.
- Water resistant up to IPX4 (JIS4)
- Select/Volume/Squelch multi-control top rotary encoder knob.
- Side-actuated Function and Menu controls.
- 3 front SOFTKEY buttons (functions change depending on scanner status).
- Removable 3.7v 5400mAh 19.98Wh Extended Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery (Model BT-954) included with new models
- Built-in Battery Charger - charge the batteries in the scanner w a USB power cable
- Visual Independent Alert LED w/ 7 colors and 3 patterns.
- Charge/Battery Low Independent Alert LED
- 8GB microSD card holds the entire US and Canada database of radio systems, plus leaves room for hundreds of hours of audio recording.
- Quick key (QK) capable
- 100 Favorites Lists QKs
- 100 Systems QKs
- 100 Departments QKs
- 100 Systems QKs
- 100 Favorites Lists QKs
- 3 Quick-Access Search Keys
- 64 character text tagging for each system, site, department, channel, talkgroup, search range, Tone-Out, and SAME group.
- Adjustable Band defaults Modulation and Steps
- Adjustable Priority check interval and quantity.
- Analysis Mode - includes Trunked System Analysis of Signal, Quality and Activity, and EDACS/LTR LCN Finder.
- Audible Independent Alert Tone Volume – lets you set the volume level of the following tones: Key Beep, Emergency Alerts, Channel Alerts, Tone-Out hits, and Close Call Alert.
- Backlight-on-Squelch option allows the backlight to remain on during an entire transmission.
- Broadcast signal ignore while searching (TV and radio station frequencies, pagers, etc) with 10 custom bands.
- Channel delay adjustable to increments of 0-2,5,10,30,
- Channel Volume Offset individually per channel.
- Close Call, with Close Call Do Not Disturb, Close Call Priority (or Primary), and Close Call Temporary Store.
- Conventional Channel Priority with Priority Do-Not-Disturb, w some trunk system and priority
- Custom Search - lets you program up to 10 search ranges.
- Dynamic Memory Architecture
- Discovery Mode - helps you find new channels on trunked systems and frequency ranges.
- Easy navigation to Favorite List, 1st on Menu w visual On/Off for FQK listing
- Easy navigation to System List 1st on Menu w visual On/Off for SQK listing.
- Easy Scan Control using the System, Department and Channel SOFTKEY Hold buttons.
- Fire Tone Out alert with two-tone paging with up to 32 tone slots.
- Fire Tone Out Search - built-in frequency counter displays the received tones.
- Individual Site P25 decode Threshold, Settings: Auto, Manual, Default
- Intermediate Frequency Exchange - changes the IF used for a selected frequency to help avoid image and other mixer-product interference on a frequency.
- Keypad Lock prevents anything being changed but Volume and ON\OFF - lets you hand the scanner to a novice user.
- Multi-Site Trunking - Lets you program the scanner to share a Trunked System's TGIDs across multiple Sites without having to duplicate TGIDs.
- Negative Channel delay or dropout (forced resume) adjustable to -2, -5, -10 seconds.
- Number Tagging - Number tags allow you to quickly navigate to a specific Favorites List, System, and/or Channel.
- Quick Search - Allows you to start searching at the displayed frequency, or enter a frequency and start searching.
- P25 One-Frequency Trunking - The scanner can follow individual talk groups on P25 single-frequency systems that use both NAC and TGID’s for squelch control and user identification.
- Receive Signal Strength Indicator displayed.
- Recording of Audio - Captures & Stores individual transmissions until squelch closes for later playback with time stamping and some metadata via Scanner or PC.
- Date/Time indication on display with time stamping for recordings.
- Instant Replay - Plays back up to 240 seconds of the most recent unsquelched transmissions without the added quiet time between those transmissions.
- Repeater Reverse
- SAME Weather Alert
- Search with Scan for Custom Searches.
- Startup Configuration
- Weather Priority.
Programming and Interface
Most menus and buttons are identical to the BCD436HP.
- ZIP Services Mode: Enter your ZIP code, service type, and range. The scanner will aggregate a list of nearby radio channels to listen to.
- GPS Mode: Purchase the additional GPS module and cable to have the scanner automatically update its location to pull in nearby radio channels without having to enter a ZIP code (Location Based Scanning)
- Manual Entry: Create Favorite lists by manually entering the channel/system information, or import it from the RR DB preloaded on the SD Card (Complete Front Keypad Programming ability)
- Sentinel: Use a PC with Uniden Sentinel Software to update scanner firmware, update RR Database, and create your own Favorite Lists, Systems, Sites, Channels, TalkGroups and RadioIDs in addition to control scanner settings and customize the LCD Screen.
- USB PC Connectivity/charge port (USB Mini-B)
- Simultaneous charge while using
- USB PC Connectivity (USB Micro) - use to be determined
Features missing from SDS100 previously in BCD436HP
- Voice AGC
- Keypad Lock
RR System Compatibility
- Analog Conventional Frequencies
- Motorola Type I
- Motorola Type II
- LTR Standard
- APCO Project 25 Standard
- Phase I FDMA
- Motorola X2-TDMA
- Phase II TDMA
- LSM systems
- Hytera XPT
- MotoTRBO Capacity + and Connect +
- DMR Tier III
- NXDN 1
- NXDN 4800 + 9600
- ProVoice 1
- APCO-25 Common Air Interface Common Air Interface
- DMR 1
- NXDN 1
- Requires, optional, Paid Upgrade w/ Registration via my.uniden.com.
- Firmware updates via MicroSD card or through USB port.
(subject to change)
- 25-512 MHz
- 758-824 MHz
- 849-869 MHz
- 894-960 MHz
- 1240-1300 MHz
Modulation & Steps
- AM, NFM, FM, WFM, or FMB.
- 5, 6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5, 15, 20, 25, 50, or 100 kHz
Included in the Box
- SDS100 Scanner Radio
- SMA Semi-Rigid Antenna
- SMA-BNC Antenna Adapter
- 411.com Registration card
- USB to USB Mini-B programming / charge cable
- USB Wall brick 5V 2A (Model: AD-1278)
- Extended Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery 3.7v 5400mAh 19.98Wh (Model BT-954)
- Extended battery door
- Rotating Belt Clip
- Belt clip Plastic Attachment with 1 screw installed
- Owner’s manual printed copy w online pdf format available
- microSD Card (8GB) installed
- External Box
- Formed Cardboard packaging - molded pulp
- Various plastic bags for listed components
Included on the microSD CARD
- A copy of the RadioReference Database (HPDB)
- Uniden's Sentinel Software. which can also be found here
- Pre-Formatted with FAT 32 Filing System
- Main Folder named "TBA"
- Below TBA folder contains:
- (7)Sub-Folders: activity_log, alert, audio, discovery, favorite_list, firmware, HPDB
- (4)Loose Files:
- Configuration files: app_data.cfg, discovery.cfg1, profile.cfg
- Set-Up file: scanner.inf
- Main Folder named "TBA"
Lithium Ion battery or use of USB 5V DC ≥300mA.
- Uniden SDS100 Intro - Video
- SDS100 Slow Rain - Video
- SDS100 Promo Video
- SDS100 Display Menu Options
- Central Ohio Integrated Radio System LSM Reception: BCD436HP vs. SDS100
- Maryland FIRST Performance check
- Philly Performance Check
- Pin 2 (ID) is used for GPS Serial Data
- Pin 3 and 4 are for Serial Data
Frequently Asked Questions Support Pages
Groups and Message Boards
- Uniden SDS100 / SDS200 Radio Scanner Group
- Uniden BCD436HP / BCD635HP / SDS200 / SDS100 Scanner Owner's Group
- Radio Scanner World
- Radio Scanners
- Scanner Enthusiasts
- Radio Scanner Help and Chat
- Uniden Scanners
- Uniden Bearcat Scanners
- Uniden Bearcat Scanner Fan Club
- Uniden Bearcat Scanner Owners UK
- Radio Programming
- Uniden main group
- SDS100 sub group
- Groups.io SDS100 eMail discussion list
- Radio Scanners Uniden / Whistler
Return to Uniden Scanners