SDS100 and SDS200 FAQ Page
From The RadioReference Wiki
NOTE: We have separate FAQs for other Uniden products;
- If you are looking for information on the x36hp series scanners, see the BCD436HP and BCD536HP Scanner FAQ. That FAQ should also be consulted for other issues with the SDS series as they share a great many things in common
- Sentinel (Uniden's software) questions and answers should be found in Sentinel for the BCD436HP/BCD536HP/SDS100/SDS200
- If you are looking for HomePatrol-1 or HomePatrol-2 information, see the Uniden Home Patrol FAQ
- If you are looking for other Uniden 2 tier DMA driven scanners, see the Uniden DMA FAQ
- 1 The Nuts and Bolts
- 2 Relevant Resource Material
- 3 Firmware and Support
- 4 Third Party Accessories
- 5 Third Party Software Support
- 6 Reported Issues and Questions
- 7 DMR MOTOTRBO Programming
- 8 NXDN Discussions
- 9 YouTube Videos
- 10 Reflectors and Message Boards
The Nuts and Bolts
- If you're a newcomer, you've probably already discovered that there's a huge amount of terms that seem unfamiliar to you. Our Glossary has lots of these terms, along with definitions. Just click on the term you wish to view.
- When looking at frequencies in our database, float your mouse over the column header, and you should get a balloon with a brief description of the terms and abbreviations that are used there.
- The biggest hurdle for many is the concept of trunking. Our Trunking Basics article will get you started, as well as this PDF file written by UPMan. Note that you will need Adobe Acrobat or a compatible reader (such as Foxit) to read it.
Relevant Resource Material
- Are there any better user manuals for the SDS100 / 200?
- Do we have any relevant wiki articles on the terminology and concepts these scanners use?
- Are there any additional resources?
- I lost my owners manual. Where can I download a replacement?
Firmware and Support
- Where can I find...
- The firmware updates for the SDS100?
- Go to the SDS100 Firmware Twiki page
- The firmware updates for the SDS200?
- Go to the SDS200 Firmware Twiki page
- The latest version of Sentinel?
- Go to the Sentinel (Uniden software) article
- A copy of the USB Serial Drivers?
- The serial driver can be found as a zip file link here Note: The x36 and SDS versions are the same
Third Party Accessories
- What is the maximum size SD card supported by these radios?
Third Party Software Support
- NOTE: Only Sentinel can apply any firmware fixes. No other third party app is capable of this.
- NOTE: Freescan does not work with these scanners due to the different DMA structure
- Butel ARC536 Software Favorites Editor and Remote Control Software (use promo code RADIOREF for 20% discount)
- Forum Support can be found here
- Digital Frequency Search webtool
- Digital Frequency Quick Import webtool
- Locates DMR and conventional Phase 1 data on the FCC database
- Has import tool compatible with ARC536 and Sentinel
- Digital Frequency Quick Import webtool
- Omnirig can perform CAT control over these radios. See the Free Scanner Software Facebook group for instructions and the required .ini file
- ProScan Full Featured Favorites Editor and Remote Control Software
- Scanner Remote For the Mac
- See the New free scanner software available in the apple mac app store Thread for more information
Reported Issues and Questions
How do I...
- Reset the scanner back to factory defaults?
- Get Started For The First Time?
- Set Up Trunking?
- See the SDS200 Trunking Help Thread
- How do I fix a NOTHING TO SCAN error?
- See the Nothing to Scan article
- How do I set up I-Call (also known as Private Call)?
- See this section in the Easier to Read Manual
- Change the Opening Screen?
- Connect to my SDS200 via WiFi?
- Copy Data from my SDS100 to a SDS200?
- See the Set Up my new SDS200 Thread
- Replace my programming cable for the 100 / 200?
- Learn about the Global Filter Settings?
- SDS100 SDS200 Filter Settings (PDF)
- See the Global Filter Settings Spreadsheet and Information Thread
- See the SDS200 Filter Settings Thread
- See the What is the difference with all the filters in the SDS100 Thread
- See the Global Filter Modes Thread
- See the The Art Of Filtering Thread
- See the SDS100 Filter Failure Thread
- See the What is the Difference With All the Filters in the SDS100? Thread
- Add a Bandscope?
- Find the keypad shortcuts?
- They are listed in the manual and also in the SDS100 Keypad Shortcuts Thread
- Customize my display?
- Add a Priority Channel Without Using Sentinel?
- Manually add a P25 Frequency to any list?
- Fix a problem where Win7 cant find a specified file?
- I suspect I have issues with local FM BCers overloading my scanner. What are some good FM traps to use on these scanners?
- Create a debug log so I can diagnose a possible issue?
- Hold down the Avoid button and power on the scanner. Keep holding it until the favorite lists starts to load.
- Then go to the scanner menu and choose Setting and you should find a Set Debug Log Mode menu.
- Go in there and select SD Card and then exit out to normal scan mode.
- Let it scan for a minute or two and then connect the USB cable to scanner and PC and select Mass Storage Mode.
- With the Windows Explorer program that handles files, (or just hold down the Windows button and E on the PC keyboard and click on the SD card)
- Go into the SD card drive and down into the BCDx36HP folder and into the Debug folder.
- Use / Learn about LCN Finder?
- Use or fix an issue using my own GPS?
Reported Issues - SDS100
- What is the purpose of the evidently unused hole on the back of the SDS100?
- The SDS100 battery gets very hot / fails prematurely. What is wrong?
- See the SDS100 Battery Issues Thread
- Why did my SDS100 Suddenly Stop Receiving?
- See the SDS100 Stopped Receiving Thread
- My SDS100 is not being recognized by my computer
- I have lost audio on my SDS100 even though it appears to be tracking/scanning
- My SDS100 display goes blank. How can I fix this?
- Why does my SDS100 Scan So Slowly?
- How can I find Information on the SDS100 USB / Power Cable?
- See the SDS100 USB / Power cable Thread
- Can I Change the Colors/Lettering on my SDS100?
- What is causing static on VHF and UHF analog frequencies?
- Why does the SDS100 seem to miss transmissions other scanners hear?
Reported Issues - SDS200
- I have a hum issue on my SDS200. Where can I find more information on how to fix it?
- See the SDS200 Hum Reports Thread
- SDS200 hum was fixed but came back Thread
- SDS200 Hum as of 8-15-2019 Thread
- Using the NMP200 Thread
- SDS200 audio hum problem fixed now? Thread
- Unauthorized Modification To Fix Hum Thread
- SDS200 Possible Hum Thread
- SDS200 Background Noise Finally Resolved by Uniden Thread
- How Do I Set the Backlight?
- See the SDS200 Set the Backlight Thread
- Why am I seeing a RSSI Value of -1004?
- What causes the display to flicker?
- See the SDS200 Screen Flicker Thread
- Why does the SDS200 freeze up?
- See the SDS200 Freezing Issue Thread
DMR MOTOTRBO Programming
- See the NXDN Tips for the BCDx36HP and SDS Scanners article
- How can I find relevant YouTube videos on these scanners?