From The RadioReference Wiki
Uniden's Base/Mobile Digital Trunktracker scanner with Dynamic Memory Architecture and GPS Support.
Started Shipping June 2006.
- Voltage: 13.8 Volts d.c.
- Current: less than 750mA (max. rating of included wall wart)
- Power plug: 5.5mm outer diameter, 2.1mm inner diameter; Radio Shack size code "M"
- Channels: 6000 maximum
- Systems: 500 maximum
- Sites: 1000 maximum, 256 maximum per system
- Groups per system: 20 maximum
- Talkgroups per trunked system: 250 maximum
- Scan Rate: 100 channels per second (conventional mode)
- System Quick Key range: 0-99
- Group Quick Key range: 0-9
- Custom Search Ranges: 10
- Preprogrammed Service Search Bands: 13
- 25 - 512 MHz
- 764 - 776 MHz
- 794 - 956 MHz
- 1240 - 1300 MHz
- Rebanding supported? YES
- APCO25 Digital Audio decoding
- Adaptive Digital Threshold - Automatically sets the digital decode threshold for APCO 25 systems
- TrunkTracker IV with Motorola Control Channel Only trunking and I-Call monitoring
- Multi-Site support
- Trunking Activity Indicators
- EDACS ESK support (requires firmware 3.0 or newer)
- Multi-color display backlight
- Quick Recall – quickly navigates to a specific Channel by choosing the System, Group, and Channel.
- Close Call, with Close Call Do Not Disturb, Close Call Priority (or Primary), and Close Call Temporary Store.
- GPS Support for location-based scanning, location alerts, and crows-flight navigation
- 100 Quick Keys
- Supported step sizes: 5, 6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5,15, 20, 25, 50 or 100 kHz
- Adjustable (0-5 sec) scan delay
- DCS/CTCSS Rapid Decode
- Temporary System, Site, Group, Channel, and Location Lockout
- 500 (250 Temporary + 250 Permanent) Search Lockouts
- Startup Configuration
- Frequency/ID AutoStore - automatically store frequencies from a service or limit search into a conventional system or store talk group IDs into a trunked system
- 16 character text tagging for each system, site, group, channel, talkgroup, search range, location, Tone-out, and SAME group
- Compatible with BC-RH96 Remote Head
- Analog and Digital AGC
- Ability to flag a channel as Digital, Analog, or All
- Quick Search
- Search with Scan for Service and Custom Searches with assigned Quick Keys
- 13 Service Searches - Public Safety, News, HAM Radio, Marine, Railroad, Air, CB Radio, FRS/GMRS, Racing, TV Broadcast, FM Broadcast, Military Air, and Special (Itinerant)
- Custom Search — lets you program up to 10 search ranges
- 6 Quick-Access Search Keys
- Fire Tone Out alert
- Also see the Fire Tone Out article
- Channel Alert
- Independent Alert Tone Volume – lets you set the volume level of the following tones: Key Beep, Emergency Alert, Channel Alert, and Close Call Alert.
- Weather Alert Priority
- SAME Weather Alert
- Duplicate Channel Alert
- Priority Scan with Priority Plus
- Also see the Priority Scan article
- Signal Strength display
- LCD and Keypad Backlight
- Reversible Display - Lets you reverse the display to mount unit upside down (and hear the speaker from the top)
- Adjustable Hold (scan duration 0-255 sec) per system, custom or service search
- Strong signal attenuation
- Upgradeable firmware
- Repeater Reverse
- Broadcast signal ignore while searching (TV and radio station frequencies, pagers, etc) with 10 custom bands
- PC Programming and Control
- Record Out - you can connect an output jack to a VOX controlled recorder or PC sound input to record the received audio.
- Wired Cloning (Will only Clone to another BCD996T)
- DIN-E and ISO Vehicle Mountable sleeve included
- Antenna Connector: BNC
- Memory Back Up
- Physical Dimensions: Width 7.33 Height 2.21 Depth 5.94
RR System Compatibility
This scanner is compatible with the following Trunking System Types and System Voices used in the RadioReference Database, of course you must verify that the scanner will cover the appropriate frequency range:
- System Types:
- Motorola Type I
- Motorola Type II
- Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
- Motorola Type II Smartnet
- Motorola Type II Smartzone
- Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
- EDACS Standard (Wide)
- EDACS Standard Networked
- EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
- EDACS Narrowband Networked
- EDACS SCAT
- EDACS ESK (version 3.0 firmware or later required)
- LTR Standard
- Project 25 Standard
- System Voices:
- Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
- APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Uniden Multi-Site Trunking - allows independent system sites to share common talk group channel lists.
Location Based Scanning - If you connect a GPS unit to the scanner it can automatically enable/disable systems based on the geographic information you provide.
Startup Configuration - Pressing a number button while powering on the scanner automatically unlocks all systems assigned to that startup key and automatically locks all systems assigned to a different startup key (unassigned systems are not affected).
Temporary Lockout - Makes it easy to temporarily lock out a system, channel, or frequency. The lockout is cleared when you turn power off.
Six-Level Backlighting - Lets you set the display/keypad backlight to any of three brightness levels (or off) and two colors (red or green). Also lets you connect to your vehicle’s dimmer circuit to dim the scanner’s display with the vehicle’s dimmer control.
“Soft“ Search Keys - Let you program the keypad’s secondary functions to turn on/off specified search ranges.
Single-Handed Function Operation - Tap Function to access F+ key presses. 5 seconds after your last key press, the scanner reverts to non F+ entry (or press Function again to revert sooner).
- External Links
- Easier to Read BCD996T/UBC996T Manual
- BCD996T Firmware updates
- BCD996T User Manual
- Control Codes for BCD996T
- Uniden USB-1 page on Scanner Master
- Wiki articles
- BCD996T QandA
- BCD996T Lat-Lon
- Uniden DMA FAQ
- Uniden Band Plan Entry Method (for V3 and later)
- DMA Radios Hints and Kinks
- JPEG of discriminator tap point
- Uniden scanner test modes
- Simulcast digital distortion
- BCD996T AGC Tweak Procedure
- Digital End Code detection
- Software Support for Uniden Rebanding
- Compare the BCD996T to other digital models
PC Programming and Control
- BuTel Software products
- ARC996 Basic/Pro
- ARC996 Pro is capable of recording audio
- ARC996 PDF brochure
- Clone996 backup & restore utility (available from BCD996 or ARC996 Yahoo groups)
- Please see our Uniden DMA Software Support article for more software links
- cat-streamer (Stream audio with site/group/channel tags)
- UASD Software** To Enter Registration Key: open program, click on "write to scanner", click on "setup" at top and then "registration" a box will open so that you can enter the number that was emailed to you ("demo" will now be removed from the write to scanner box)
- Firmware Updates
Yahoo Groups and Message Boards
Talkgroup and Frequency display when scanning
Use display mode #2: Toggling the Display Mode To change the display so the channel and frequency or Talk Group ID appear instead of extended channel information, hold on any channel then press F + . The scanner displays Display Mode 2. To return to Mode 1, press F +  Mode1 indicates the channel data under the Channel Name. Mode2 indicates the frequencies under the Channel Name for Conventional systems or the TGID number for Trunked systems.
Return to Uniden Scanners