From The RadioReference Wiki
Uniden's Base/Mobile Digital Trunktracker scanner with Dynamic Memory Architecture and GPS Support. Discontinued.
Started Shipping June 2006.
- Voltage: 13.8 Volts d.c.
- Current: less than 750mA (max. rating of included wall wart)
- Power plug: 5.5mm outer diameter, 2.1mm inner diameter; Radio Shack size code "M"
- Channels: 6000 maximum
- Systems: 500 maximum
- Sites: 1000 maximum, 256 maximum per system
- Groups per system: 20 maximum
- Talkgroups per trunked system: 250 maximum
- Scan Rate: 100 channels per second (conventional mode)
- System Quick Key range: 0-99
- Group Quick Key range: 0-9
- Custom Search Ranges: 10
- Preprogrammed Service Search Bands: 13
- 25 - 512 MHz
- 764 - 776 MHz
- 794 - 956 MHz
- 1240 - 1300 MHz
- Can be updated to support Rebanding? YES
- See the Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners article for the firmware link
- APCO25 Digital Audio decoding
- Adaptive Digital Threshold - Automatically sets the digital decode threshold for APCO 25 systems
- TrunkTracker IV with Motorola Control Channel Only trunking and I-Call monitoring
- Multi-Site support
- Trunking Activity Indicators
- EDACS ESK support (requires firmware 3.0 or newer)
- Multi-color display backlight
- Quick Recall – quickly navigates to a specific Channel by choosing the System, Group, and Channel.
- Uniden Close Call, with Close Call Do Not Disturb, Close Call Priority (or Primary), and Close Call Temporary Store.
- GPS Support for location-based scanning, location alerts, and crows-flight navigation
- 100 Quick Keys
- Supported step sizes: 5, 6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5,15, 20, 25, 50 or 100 kHz
- Adjustable (0-5 sec) scan delay
- Data Skip
- DCS/CTCSS Rapid Decode
- Temporary System, Site, Group, Channel, and Location Lockout
- 500 (250 Temporary + 250 Permanent) Search Lockouts
- Startup Configuration
- Frequency/ID AutoStore - automatically store frequencies from a service or limit search into a conventional system or store talk group IDs into a trunked system
- 16 character text tagging for each system, site, group, channel, talkgroup, search range, location, Tone-out, and SAME group
- Compatible with BC-RH96 Remote Head
- Analog and Digital AGC
- Ability to flag a channel as Digital, Analog, or All
- Quick Search
- Search with Scan for Service and Custom Searches with assigned Quick Keys
- 13 Service Searches - Public Safety, News, HAM Radio, Marine, Railroad, Air, CB Radio, FRS/GMRS, Racing, TV Broadcast, FM Broadcast, Military Air, and Special (Itinerant)
- Custom Search — lets you program up to 10 search ranges
- 6 Quick-Access Search Keys
- Fire Tone Out alert
- Also see the Fire Tone Out article
- Channel Alert
- Independent Alert Tone Volume – lets you set the volume level of the following tones: Key Beep, Emergency Alert, Channel Alert, and Close Call Alert.
- Weather Alert Priority
- SAME Weather Alert
- Duplicate Channel Alert
- Priority Scan with Priority Plus
- Also see the Priority Scan article
- Signal Strength display
- LCD and Keypad Backlight
- Reversible Display - Lets you reverse the display to mount unit upside down (and hear the speaker from the top)
- Adjustable Hold (scan duration 0-255 sec) per system, custom or service search
- Strong signal attenuation
- Upgradeable firmware
- Repeater Reverse
- Broadcast signal ignore while searching (TV and radio station frequencies, pagers, etc) with 10 custom bands
- PC Programming and Control
- Record Out - you can connect an output jack to a VOX controlled recorder or PC sound input to record the received audio.
- Wired Cloning (Will only Clone to another BCD996T)
- DIN-E and ISO Vehicle Mountable sleeve included
- Antenna Connector: BNC
- Memory Back Up
- Physical Dimensions: Width 7.33 Height 2.21 Depth 5.94
RR System Compatibility
This scanner is compatible with the following Trunking System Types and System Voices used in the RadioReference Database, of course you must verify that the scanner will cover the appropriate frequency range:
- System Types:
- Motorola Type I
- Motorola Type II
- Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
- Motorola Type II Smartnet
- Motorola Type II SmartZone
- Motorola Type II SmartZone OmniLink
- Motorola Type II VOC
- EDACS Standard (Wide)
- EDACS Standard Networked
- EDACS Narrowband
- EDACS Narrowband Networked
- EDACS SCAT - (version 3.0 firmware or later required)
- EDACS ESK (not ProVoice)
- LTR Standard
- Project 25 Standard
- System Voices:
- Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
- APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Uniden Multi-Site Trunking - allows independent system sites to share common talk group channel lists.
Location Based Scanning - If you connect a GPS unit to the scanner it can automatically enable/disable systems based on the geographic information you provide.
Startup Configuration - Pressing a number button while powering on the scanner automatically unlocks all systems assigned to that startup key and automatically locks all systems assigned to a different startup key (unassigned systems are not affected).
Temporary Lockout - Makes it easy to temporarily lock out a system, channel, or frequency. The lockout is cleared when you turn power off.
Six-Level Backlighting - Lets you set the display/keypad backlight to any of three brightness levels (or off) and two colors (red or green). Also lets you connect to your vehicle’s dimmer circuit to dim the scanner’s display with the vehicle’s dimmer control.
“Soft“ Search Keys - Let you program the keypad’s secondary functions to turn on/off specified search ranges.
Single-Handed Function Operation - Tap Function to access F+ key presses. 5 seconds after your last key press, the scanner reverts to non F+ entry (or press Function again to revert sooner).
- External Links
- Easier to Read BCD996T/UBC996T Manual
- BCD996T User Manual
- Control Codes for BCD996T
- Uniden USB-1 page on Scanner Master
- Wiki articles
- Programming Your Uniden Scanner
- BCD996T QandA
- BCD996T Lat-Lon
- JPEG of discriminator tap point
- Uniden scanner test modes
- BCD996T AGC Tweak Procedure
- Compare the BCD996T to other digital models
- Has your speaker audio gone dead after having something plugged into the speaker jack? The Uniden Headphone Jack Modification may help
PC Programming and Control
- BuTel Software products
- ARC996 Basic/Pro
- ARC996 Pro is capable of recording audio
- ARC996 PDF brochure
- ProScan Free 30-day fully functional trial, $ 50, Feature Rich
- Clone996 backup & restore utility
- cat-streamer (Stream audio with site/group/channel tags)
Talkgroup and Frequency display when scanning
Use display mode #2: Toggling the Display Mode To change the display so the channel and frequency or Talk Group ID appear instead of extended channel information, hold on any channel then press F + . The scanner displays Display Mode 2. To return to Mode 1, press F +  Mode1 indicates the channel data under the Channel Name. Mode2 indicates the frequencies under the Channel Name for Conventional systems or the TGID number for Trunked systems.
BCD996T Scanners for Sale
Return to Uniden Scanners