Radio Shack Scanner Programming Software Support
From The RadioReference Wiki
Which Software Should I use with my scanner?
The following chart is an up to date version of all RS model numbers and the BuTel package that supports it. Note that in some cases, GRE and Whistler had equivalent models, and these are also cross referenced here. Also note that before RS withdrew from the scanner market, they reissued some of their scanners with new model numbers.
|Old RS Model||New RS Model||GRE Model||Whistler Model||BuTel Package|
The software is Windows Vista/7/8/10 compatible (both 32 and 64 bit versions). MAC OS is not supported.
Installation and Use
See this PDF document tutorial which walks the user through the download, installation, and initial programming process.
Scanner Master also has a helpful page with information on installing and using the Radio Shack Programming Software
ARC500 software User Guide
USB Cable Driver Installation
See this PDF document which walks the user through the driver installation for the cable
You can also install the driver from the Radioshack Software. Start the Radioshack software selection panel and then press the yellow 'Install USB Driver'.
Registering Your Software
After purchasing your software, you should receive your license keys via email at the address you registered with. Follow these steps to register your software.
- Click START > PROGRAMS > SCANNER SOFTWARE > [Your Scanner Model]. This will start the software.
- Confirm the demo message and then choose the menu item HELP > REGISTER.
- Enter both keys ( Key1 and Key2) you received via email and click OK.
- The keys are case sensitive and must be entered with the dashes. You must type in the keys, do not use copy/paste.
- Close the software and then restart by following the first step in this list.
- Your software should now be registered
Please note that the keys are case sensitive and must be entered with the dashes.
Common Questions and Issues
- Help my key does not work?
All software license keys sold at www.radioreference.com/radioshack/ are tested and verified and work. Most common errors are:
- Entering key in incorrect software. Each different software requires a different key.
- ARC500 key sold here is for ARC500BASIC and will not work in ARC500PRO. License keys for ARC500PRO can be purchased at www.butel.nl
- The license key is case sensitive and must be entered exactly as shown with the dashes
- I am receiving a "Nothing Enabled Error" after programming my radio
If you imported info into ARC500 and/or uploaded programming to your scanner and you receive the message "Nothing Enabled" on your radio, you need to assign the frequencies or talkgroups to a "scanlist". This can be done easily in the software by going to the scanlist column next to the alpha tag column, in either Coventional or Talkgroup under Scannable Objects, and typing in the scanlist number. When each frequency and/or talkgroup has been assigned a scanlist you can then proceed with uploading the information to the scanner.
- No data is transferred to my scanner.
First make sure you plugged the USB cable in the PC/IF jack and not the headphone jack. Also verify that the led's on the USB cable are flashing during the data transfer. If they are not flashing you selected the incorrect usb/com port and/or the driver is not installed correctly. Re-install the USB driver. Also try a different USB port.
- I am receiving a "Init not ok. Can't read user data" message when trying to import data from the database
This message usually indicates that a firewall is blocking the software to access the internet. Add the ARC software to the safelist of your firewall software. You may also see this message on satellite internet connections due to the latency on those networks. The webimport may not work on satellite internet, use dialup or cable/DSL instead. 'Hughesnet' users must disable the Turbopage option.
- I lost my software registration.
If you purchased the software license using this website then simply logon to your Radioreference account at www.radioreference.com and then locate the Licenses section. This shows all software license details that were purchased. You can also use this link: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/account/?tab=3Dlicenses
If you need support via email, please contact the Radio Shack Scanner Programming Support Team at:
Addititional information is available at 800SCANNER resources