GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ
From The RadioReference Wiki
Welcome to the GRE/Radio Shack Object Oriented Scanners FAQ. This document addresses common questions and answers, along with tips and explanations, that will help newcomers work with and comprehend the new generation of object oriented scanners. Specifically these models include;
|GRE Model||Older RS Model||Newest RS Model||Whistler Model|
- Trunking w/ Analog Voice Only scanners, others shown in table can handle up-to Digital P25 Phase I
Also see this PSR-500 Operating hints PDF file for additional information.
For these scanners, please see our GRE/RS PC Object Oriented FAQ
- Released around the time the PSR-800 was, but lacking additional/advanced features SEE #5.
- Project 25(P25) Phase I and II decoding.
- Capable of DMR decoding, with a free Upgrade to the latest Firmware via Whistler's EZ-Scan software.
- Capable of NXDN decoding, with a free Upgrade to the latest Firmware via Whistler's EZ-Scan software
- Ability to be Upgraded for DMR (and add P25 Phase II to Pro-18) decode with a Paid Upgrade with User paid shipment to Whistler, returned by them. Once, returned, continued forward support is possible via Whistler Repair and EZ-Scan Software, with all the newer additions and features of a WS1080.
- Variant with Keypad
- Trunking w Analog Voice Only
- ALL THE SAME after UPGRADE except silk screening
- Never released publicly, subsequently became WS1095
Please feel free to add new questions (and hopefully answers) to this document. If a question or answer is specific to a scanner, be sure to specify this.
The Nuts and Bolts
- If you're a newcomer, you've probably already discovered that there's a huge amount of terms that seem unfamiliar to you. Our Glossary has lots of these terms, along with definitions. Just click on the term you wish to view.
- When looking at frequencies in our database, float your mouse over the column header, and you should get a balloon with a brief description of the terms and abbreviations that are used there.
- The biggest hurdle for many is the concept of trunking. Our Trunking Basics article will get you started, as well as this PDF file written by UPMan. Note that you will need Adobe Acrobat or a compatible reader (such as Foxit) to read it.
- These scanners cannot be upgraded to trunk the various new modes such as DMR, MOTOTRBO, EDACS Provoice or NXDN. These modes require additional firmware, hardware and memory which can't be added or modified in these scanners.
Finding Owners Manuals, Firmware/DSP Updates
- Where can I find a copy of the original owner's (insert GRE model) manual?
- Where can I find the last released firmware for my (insert GRE model)?
- I lost my owners manual. Is there an online version I can view?
- For the PSR-310 and 410, see the PSR-310/410 Easier to Read Manual
- For all other scanners, see the Pro-106/197 PSR500/600 WS1040/WS1065 Easier to Read manual
- A printed version can be found here
- Where can I find the software to apply firmware changes for my WS1040 / WS1065?
- Go to the Whistler Scanner Downloads Page
- Where can I find the firmware / DSP updates for my Pro-106 / Pro-197?
- Go to the Pro-106 and Pro-197 CPU/DSP Upgrades article
- What is Object Oriented Scanning and how does it work in the GRE/RS/Whistler Scanners?
- Please see the Object Oriented Scanning Described article
- What tips or shortcuts have been found when working on these scanners?
- Please see the Object Oriented Scanning tips article
Issues and Operational
- I am hearing a great deal of distorted audio/spurs/interference in some bands. What is causing this?
- Please see the Object Oriented Scanners Overload Issues article
- What causes distortion when listening to P25 simulcast systems? How can it be remedied?
- Please see the Simulcast digital distortion article for a discussion of this issue
- What are some known issues with these scanners and are there any workarounds?
- Please see the Object Oriented Scanners Issues article
- Why is the 796-806 Mhz range locked out?
- According to a GRE representative, it's because there are intermod issues with these scanners at this range. Please see the first posting of this Missing 796-804 Mhz Thread
- My signal meter is hardly working / reads very low. Is there something wrong?
- See the Signal Meter Readings Thread
Heap error messages
- I am getting a Heap Error message. What is causing this?
- You have some TGRP objects that are not associated with any TSYS. Associate or delete these TGRP objects and reload.
- To correct the HEAP ERROR condition, look for any TGRPs that have "NEW" as their TSYS, and delete them (press FUNC CL) or associate them with a new or existing trunking system.
- This can be caused by having duplicate TGRPs in a TSYS.
- This is the knowledge based article that appeared on GRE's webpage - no longer available ->
Heap Errors are most often caused by one or more talkgroup (TGRP) objects that are programmed into the radio, but not associated with any trunking system (TSYS). When programming an OOUI scanner by hand, this can happen when a new TGRP is saved without mapping it to a new or existing trunking system, e.g., pressing the Save softkey when "NEW" is displayed in the TSYS field of the TGRP object menu. Specifying "NEW" in the TSYS field tells the radio that a new trunking system is needed. If SEL is pressed while NEW is displayed in the TSYS field of the TGRP menu, the radio will present a blank TSYS menu that can configured with the parameters for the new system, named, and saved. Once the new TSYS is saved, it can be used over and over again for more talkgroups on the same system by scrolling through saved TSYS(ystems) using the left/right arrow keys at the TSYS field.
To correct the HEAP ERROR condition, look for any TGRPs that have "NEW" as their TSYS, and delete them (press FUNC CL) or associate them with a new or existing trunking system. To review programmed objects, press PGM, then use the left/right arrow keys to browse through the Scan Lists, and the up/down arrow keys to scroll through objects mapped to the selected Scan List. Third party programming software can also be used to find unassigned talkgroups. For example, the Win500 application has a feature that displays only TGRPs that are not mapped to a TSYS.
In rare cases it may be necessary to restore the radio to factory defaults to clear a Heap Error. To reset the radio to factory defaults, turn the radio on, wait for the Welcome screen to appear, then immediately press 0, then 1, and follow the instructions on the LCD display to reset the radio. This will result in the loss of programming data, so use this as a last resort.
- What kind of cable do I need to connect my PC to these scanners?
- These scanners require a USB connection. Please see the Connecting scanners via USB article for a complete discussion of USB cables and installation notes. Note that the GRE and Whistler radios come with their own USB cable; the RS scanners require you to purchase it separately.
- What Software works with these scanners?
- Where can I go to learn how to use the various software packages?
- What Software will allow me to control the scanner remotely?
- What Software will allow me to record what I hear?
- What Software will allow me to monitor the Control Channel of trunked systems?
- Is rebanding supported? What do I need to enter and where do I do it?
- Can these scanners handle the new Phase II systems that are coming online?
- Those systems, identified by Project 25 Phase II in the System Type in the database, are receivable by the PSR-800 with a firmware upgrade. In addition, the RS Pro-668 and Whistler WS-1080 and WS-1095 can receive these transmissions without a firmware fix
- Programming trunk systems seems cumbersome. Are there any shortcuts or other hints to make this easier?
- How do I apply rebanding changes to an existing TSYS?
- Please see the Programming Shortcut PSR-500/600 RS Pro-106/197 article for more on this topic
- How do I enter VHF/UHF Custom Trunking Tables for Motorola and P25 systems
- Please see the Object Oriented Scanning tips article